How To Give Liquid Medicine To A Skittish Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiesperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We started out with the fruity-flavored liquid. Brook was not interested.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in the same boat as you. My cat is absolutely impossible to pill in any manner but needs steroids for his asthma. I am lucky though because Cheddar is exceedingly food motivated. I have always fed them wet food at set times so I just add the chicken flavor steroid dose to a small clump of wet food at their regular evening feeding time. I make sure he eats that clump and then give him the rest of his food. He eats fast because he doesn't want his brothers getting his food so he doesn't seem to contemplate that it tastes a little funny. Sometimes he seems to taste it more than others and will look at me like "what the heck are you feeding me" but I just add little portions of wet food to the original clump until he eats it all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiesperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brook's brother, Chase, is incredibly food motivated and if we had to do this with him it would be no problem to slip it into his food. He's an "eat first, ask questions later" kind of a boy. Brook is really smart and very suspicious of anything new or different. She loves her wet food but if I add anything different to it she will not eat it.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Fancy Feast turkey with gravy and the gravy seems to somewhat dilute the taste of the steroid. I was worried at first that it wouldn't work because he eats around pills and it also didn't fly with antibiotics but so far so good with the steroid and we have been at it for six months.