How to give eye drops

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys
I'm bringing my new kitty into the vet for the first time tomorrow. He came from a hoarding house and has some really bad eyes (bilateral keratitis) that have never been treated.
I am guaranteed to come home with at least one set of eye drops tomorrow and probably a lengthy time of administration. I did eye gel with a previous cat but not drops. Looking for tips in advance to make the first few days easier.
Also send Coal's eyes a few healing vibes. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to see his actual eyes by the end of this (right now they are cloudy and dark but if you really look you can see yellow in there and he actually sees very well).
Trying to stay positive and hopeful! Looking forward to getting some help for him in the AM!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi sylorna sylorna

Quite a few of my cats have had eye problems, so I've lots of practice at administering eye meds. First of all, if the medicine your cat needs comes in a cream form, ask for that. It's much easier to apply cream with a clean finger than it is to hold an eye open and squirt eye drops.

This video shows you had to wrap a cat and apply the cream or drops

The important thing is to apply from behind, rather than try to touch the cat's face directly from the front. I find cream easier to apply by finger tip. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after and use a different hand for each eye so you don't cross contaminate.

If you have a cat that really fights against being medicated, wrap the cat in a towel (as shown in the video) saturate a cotton wool ball with the eye drops and use that to wipe the cats eye. Eye drops or cream usually give immediate relief, so cats that have sore eyes soon appreciate that you are trying to help them.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi sylorna sylorna

Quite a few of my cats have had eye problems, so I've lots of practice at administering eye meds. First of all, if the medicine your cat needs comes in a cream form, ask for that. It's much easier to apply cream with a clean finger than it is to hold an eye open and squirt eye drops.

This video shows you had to wrap a cat and apply the cream or drops

The important thing is to apply from behind, rather than try to touch the cat's face directly from the front. I find cream easier to apply by finger tip. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after and use a different hand for each eye so you don't cross contaminate.

If you have a cat that really fights against being medicated, wrap the cat in a towel (as shown in the video) saturate a cotton wool ball with the eye drops and use that to wipe the cats eye. Eye drops or cream usually give immediate relief, so cats that have sore eyes soon appreciate that you are trying to help them.

Good luck!
Perfect! Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have given eye drops and ointment to several cats, and have found if you gently wipe their eyes with a small piece of rag that was damp with warm water several times a day it gets them quickly used to you messing with their eyes. Then, while they are resting, I come up and gently pull down on their lower lid which then forms a 'pouch' under the eye. I apply the ointment/drops there in that pouch and it washes over the eye when they blink. vibes for good luck..... :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First try was a disaster. hopefully i'll have more luck next time. Got ointment, and it's 3X per day.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more you mess with their eyes, the easier it gets. Just trywiping them with a warm wet rag first, they seem to eventually enjoy that.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more you mess with their eyes, the easier it gets. Just trywiping them with a warm wet rag first, they seem to eventually enjoy that.
Just tried this. I got some of the oral meds in his fur so I had a warm wet cloth at the ready. He really took to it. Thinking he didn't have much of a mom and likes feeling taken care of.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its hard at first, they really resist you. I can only trim one claw a night on one of my cats too.I don't think he'll ever let me do more. But his claws start sticking in furniture and blankets and I'm afraid he'll jump off and get hung up. You are probably unsure and a little uneasy putting ointment in too, they can sense that. Act confident and eventually you'll get there. Somehow we always get it done!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its hard at first, they really resist you. I can only trim one claw a night on one of my cats too.I don't think he'll ever let me do more. But his claws start sticking in furniture and blankets and I'm afraid he'll jump off and get hung up. You are probably unsure and a little uneasy putting ointment in too, they can sense that. Act confident and eventually you'll get there. Somehow we always get it done!
After much distress today I think im coming to the conclusion that I'm going to do what I can for him and prepare myself for ups and downs on the way. I may have to let him go a little earlier than I'd like, and maybe lower my expectations of myself and not provide "perfect care for as long as he holds out" but rather "the best care as I can for as long as is reasonable for his quality of life" but that I can't act like he's going to die tomorrow and I should take this on one step at a time. Make his life the best that I can even if its short and try to release myself from the constant worry, self judgement and anxiety that I suffer from.
I shouldn't have made this adoption. I'm not emotionally prepared for such things after so many years of chronic care with my last 2 plus having one on her way over the rainbow in the next few weeks, but I was expecting a healthy cat with wonky eyes and ended up with this. He doesn't deserve to go back into the shelter system, and he really is amazing and deserves the best life I can give him. Not his fault I'm a bit broken.

I guess I'm just relating to your idea of doing the best you can one bit at a time, even if its just one nail at a time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are an angel, you are this cat's everything. Think where he would be if he didn't have you!
I too suffer from second guessing and constant worry. I can feel it in my stomach. You are not alone.
Its all any of us can do, just the best we can with what we have. Bless you for taking on this little soul, it hurts sometimes, but his love will always be with you. You have saved him, and you never know, he may save you too. I thank God there are people like you in this world....

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are an angel, you are this cat's everything. Think where he would be if he didn't have you!
I too suffer from second guessing and constant worry. I can feel it in my stomach. You are not alone.
Its all any of us can do, just the best we can with what we have. Bless you for taking on this little soul, it hurts sometimes, but his love will always be with you. You have saved him, and you never know, he may save you too. I thank God there are people like you in this world....
Thanks. I needed this. My friends and family keep on telling me to "send him back" to the shelter (my friends cat safe house). It would be less painful for me to do so but then id need to deal with being that type of person and doing something against my values. It's nice to feel understood and not judged.