How to get young kitty to toilet outside instead of litter box?

Shola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI,
I have a 4 month old kitty who I've had since 8 weeks, she's recently been introduced to the garden and I had hoped she would automatically want to toilet out there but she has not been once, I've put bits of (used) litter in places to try and encourage her but she only goes in the litter box inside, is there anything I can do to encourage her to go outside?
Thx

Keffish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We put soil from the garden in the litter box for our kittens. It was messy (put a floor covering down of some kind), but after about a week they realised there was more and better soil outside! Embarrassingly, I also dug holes in the borders, in the style of a cat when they were out there with me to show them how it was done :rolleyes:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think most of us have done something similar at some point, Keffish Keffish ! Not embarrassing at all. Or...at least not here! The neighbors, now, that's another story!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why is using a litter box a problem? Some cats just prefer to go in a litter box and not outside. Is there a way to put in a cat door so the cat can go outside to explore but still return home to use the litter box? Or maybe you can out a weather-proof enclosure outside and put a litter box inside such as this:

You do need to keep a litter box inside regardless. If your cat is inside at night or the weather is bad outside and needs to go but there is no litter box, the cat will just go anywhere she wants.