How to get the catnip smell out of carpet?

Meowzarrella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
I was wondering if any of you have tips and tricks to get the catnip smell/pheromone out of carpet. My kitty decided to grab the jar and spill it everywhere. I vacuumed it up and sprayed a oxygen cleaner over the carpet, but she keeps coming back to scratch it up and roll over it. Any ideas?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The smell will dissipate with a bit of time, but perhaps vinegar? Mix equal parts vinegar and water and spray the area really well so the carpet is a bit wet....I wouldn't think a total soak is necessary...but that's just me, let sit for a bit then blot any extra moisture up then let dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowzarrella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I did that after the oxygen cleaner dried. I'm actually not sure which one did it, but the cats have stopped rolling around the area and clawing it up by this morning so it's a win!

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Moonlight Skywriter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use a cheap yellow cleaner from Dollar Tree... its gets out all kinds of smell, i put some in a spray bottle.. its called Pin Glo.. for kitchen and bathroon and disinfectant... i use is in all my laundry. one of my cats pees on my bed, when she can not get there quick enough.. i went threw 3 mattresses until a woman who cleans houses told me about this stuff.. It get pee out for half the cost than to go to petsmart or petco for their own cleaner much cheaper too.. Know this from a woman like me who used to breed Maine Coons. I am down to one Coon she is 14 yrs and WE adopted a mixed grey tuxedo boy.. Then in the spring I think I will adopt 2 more girls.. I want them to be maine coons... I do not breed no more too much work..

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not possible. Had about the same thing happen 5 years ago. Have scrubbed that area with everything imaginable, every week or so, for the 1st year after the spill.
Bobcat wasn't even around when it happened. If I let him loose in the house tonight, he'll run through that room, stop, find that spot and start wallowing all over it.