How to get rid of cat hair?

lovekg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Well as my kitten is turning into a cat he is shedding more. I have tried vacuuming my couch but I can't get the hair off. How do you all rid your furniture of the shedding hair?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lint rollers that you can buy that are sticky like tape. You just roll that over your furniture to help pick up the hair. Me I live with the badge of fur. Just one look at my black jacket or shirt says I am a pet owner lol. Maybe one day I will break down and get a lint roller.

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveKG

Hey all! Well as my kitten is turning into a cat he is shedding more. I have tried vacuuming my couch but I can't get the hair off. How do you all rid your furniture of the shedding hair?
Hi, yeah the lint roller works fab. It's easy, handy, and can put it in your handbag
They were day when me and the family dress to go out on a saturdays and when we get in the car we realise all our clothes are covered with cats fur. So nowadays I just get the roller out of the handbag and rooollllll :0 I use it on the sofa, bedspreads everywhere.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just live with it! Phantom sheds a lot and I could vacuum twice a day and still have cat hair everywhere. Luckily i have a leather couch and cat hair doesn't stick to it but my blankets always have cat hair.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Haha, shave your cat! No, no, just kidding.... it's kinda something you have to learn to live with at least a little if you don't want to vacuum every day... the vacuum, lint rollers and brushes with rubber bristles kinda keep things under control at my place... also, make it a point to brush your cat regularly so you get a lot of the hair off all together and you can clump it up and throw it out.... I'd also look into what kind of diet your kitty has.... a lot of times excessive shedding can be traced to poor diet (sorry if these things have been said, i'm kinda in a rush and didn't read every post!)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear a rubber glove (dishwashing) and smooth my hand over the furniture, it comes off easily.

Just make sure the glove has those grippy things on the fingers or it won't really work.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sponge will take cat hair off furniture. There are special sponges made for the purpose, but a big (as in 'floor washer) will do as well.

I also own a small hand held Eureka vacuum that is specifically designed to remove cat hair; it has beaters and does a fantastic job. I was really impressed when I saw what it got off my 'hair free' sofa!.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the furminator,, which is a tool at I think Petsmart or Petco.. i don't remember,, anyways,, it's a brush that will pull the dead fur off your cats, when you brush them, both from the undercoat and top.. It worked really good..

I've seen a huge reduction of fur in my home, and I have 3 cats.. So hopefully that might help to keep the fur off from the beginning... I know the feeling.. I'm not one who likes to go to work with fur on my clothes,, and we do really well.. I'll find the ocassional white hair, or black hair,, here and there,, but not to badly... Plus I literally vaccuum my chairs, with the whole vaccuum.. I know it sounds silly,, but I take it,, pick it up and put it on the couch,,, the brush pulls the hair right out of the chairs... It's kind of heavy, and awkward, but it's worth it in the long run.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With 7 kitties I have a ton of hair around the house, but I have recently found the best product ever! I am not sure what it is exactly called but I found it at Bed Bath and Beyond about a year ago, it is a squeegee handle that has a thick rubber edge that is meant to pick up cat hair. I swear by this product! My mom is for one not an animal lover by any means and she sure as heck HATES cat hair
, it drives her crazy, but while helping me move to my new house yesterday, she got a look at my cat trees and flipped out, when I handed her the squeegee, she went to town on the trees and they look brand new now, we probably got enough hair off of the trees to make another kitty!
I will look on the website and see if I can find it and add a link!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the pet hair magnet Abbysmom posted for fur that does get on stuff and use the FURminator to keep the amount of fur down.

I just brushed mine with my new furminator (we had the small one and it took too long with 4 cats) and this is how much extra loose fur I got just from Bumper

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Zoom groom which they both love, and the zoom groom will take off those hard to remove hairs from your rugs or furniture. But they don't shed all that much since i switched to Felidae dry food. I give them Natural Instinct by healthypetnet wet.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Lord!!! That's a pile of hair! Does it work just as well on short-haired cats? My trio have short coats, but with 3, we experience a lot of fur EVERYWHERE around here.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to get one of those.
I thought Gracie, Lizzie and Annabelle's hair got everywhere.
Well that was nothing compaired to little Mr. Elliott.
I swear I could knit a sweater, hat, gloves and a scarf just from the hair I got off of his favorite chair this afternoon.
It wouldn't be so bad but I just took the hair off of it last night and I comb him every other day.

I've never had a cat like him...he has very thick very course hair.
Anybody want a nice pure white "Elliott" sweater?
I'll be happy to make you one

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dryer sheets work pretty good as well. I have one of the spongey type things that is made specifically for pet hair and that works really well. It's a little different then a regular sponge, bigger and it works better. My vacuum does a fairly good job but some day I want to get a Dyson or something specifically for pet hair.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finally broke down and paid the extra money for the Dyson animal last year. It works great! Couldn't believe the extra stuff it picks up my old vacuum missed. And I don't have to go over one spot several times to get it to pick up the fur.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Snuzy

I finally broke down and paid the extra money for the Dyson animal last year. It works great! Couldn't believe the extra stuff it picks up my old vacuum missed. And I don't have to go over one spot several times to get it to pick up the fur.
Haha, I told my boyfriend the Dyson Animal would be the ultimate gift for me (next to the obviously eventually coming engagement ring, haha)!! I can't wait to get one (of each)!