How to get past sadness and guilt over not adopting sad cat?

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a sweet kitten today and I love her a lot. However, before I met her I was considering adopting a 6 year old cat who was extremely sweet and loving. I felt a bond with her but I thought she may be a little sick and she also needed a lot of maintenance because she was in bad shape but I was willing to help her regardless. I had just lost my cat of 13 years, 2 years ago, and I was nervous that because this cat seemed slow and sick that maybe she wouldn't live past 8 or 9 and I was falling for her and afraid to have to lose her. So I didn't adopt her. I feel horrible and have been crying because I'm scared nobody will adopt her and she needs a home and love. I love my kitten and do not regret my kitten at all but I feel guilty and horrible for not adopting the other cat. how do I get past this? please help, thank you.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to know your limits. It makes you a better cat parent that way. There's nothing wrong with it! If that cat isn't something you can take on then you did the right thing by listening to yourself. That way someone who's prepared will be able to adopt that cat. I have taken in cats to the no-kill shelter instead of adopting them on my own because I knew my limitations. One was a newborn and I knew I could not provide the intense care it needed to live. She ended up being adopted by her foster mother. <3 Another one had semi feral tendencies and I just didn't have the guts to try and raise her because I was a very new cat owner at the time.

And who knows if you really have a hard time getting past this maybe you can go back for her and she might be feeling better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sugardroid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have to know your limits. It makes you a better cat parent that way. There's nothing wrong with it! If that cat isn't something you can take on then you did the right thing by listening to yourself. That way someone who's prepared will be able to adopt that cat. I have taken in cats to the no-kill shelter instead of adopting them on my own because I knew my limitations. One was a newborn and I knew I could not provide the intense care it needed to live. She ended up being adopted by her foster mother. <3 Another one had semi feral tendencies and I just didn't have the guts to try and raise her because I was a very new cat owner at the time.

And who knows if you really have a hard time getting past this maybe you can go back for her and she might be feeling better.
yeah, I know you're totally right. You shouldn't get animals that you're not prepared to care for. I just feel so guilty because I feel like I created a bond with her and abandoned her. I'm scared nobody will ever adopt her and she will never get loved. It's eating away at me, but I can only get one cat and I chose the kitten. I absolutely do not regret getting my kitten I love her so much but I can't help but think about the other cat and feel so sad for her. I just don't know how to make the feeling go away.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you volunteer at that shelter?
I agree with this. I started volunteering after spending time at the rescue while looking for my cat. There have been many cats that I've felt I really wanted to bring home with me, but knew I couldn't. Most of the time, they do get adopted, often by a volunteer who has bonded with them.