How to get my cat to eat pate wet food.

lyssa366

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my kitty has a urine infection and I was instructed to feed him wet food. I usually gave it to him as a treat but now it seems its going to be a daily thing. He likes eating the chunks but he refuses to eat the pate, but all the good kitty food comes in pate. I refuse to feed my cat anything made by Purina, the products used in the Iams wet food is horrible as well as the rest of them but I found one that is really healthy and good for him, but it seems it only comes in the pate form and I cannot afford to be buying food from the vet. So, what can I do to make my kitty eat this pate form. I always try to chop it up but it's been sitting there all morning and is starting to harden up and he needs to be eating it. Any tips and tricks to get your kitty to eat pate?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about using toppers? If you have treats like Pure Bites, those dried meat treats, they're very easy to crumble and tend to have a stronger smell. In my experience, they've been irresistible. Mixing chunky wet foods into the pate can help too - I did the reverse because we get a bulk pack of food that includes a shredded variety that our Mo initially didn't like (because he didn't know how to eat it, he'd lick the gravy and fail at slurping up the shreds) but once we started mixing with pate, which I do with all my foods just for some variety, he really took to it.

If he is used to dry food and really likes it, you can top with dry food. Some people are uncomfortable with this for extended periods of time because kibble is coated with a lot of stuff that, when exposed to moisture, really flourish. This is especially problematic for ill cats or sensitive tummies.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are some "good" cat foods that are not pate.  You just have to look for them.  For instance, several people here feed Nutro Natural Choice Chunky Loaf (which is sort of pate, but has some chunks in it, or they also have slices or minced formulas.  Also Weruva and Tiki are fan favorites, and I don't think any of those are Pate.  There are lots of others too.

Maybe this article will help.  I don't think it mentions any brands, but might help anyway:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/what-makes-the-best-canned-cat-food