How To Get My Cat To Eat Enough For Insulin?? Food/treat Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m terrified of low blood sugar with Tigger while I’m gone...he’s on the lowest dose although I guess half a unit is actually a lower dose but I’m not changing anything without vet knowledge!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there, and keep some if those things I listed in mind and run them by your vet.
All the very best of luck!!

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just ran in to a few other local little pet shops looking for good food...loaded up with cans and pouches... BUT ...I should not be throwing all this new food at my babies should I?? It will upset their stomachs :(. Although midnight eats severel variations with no problem and meemo eats darn near anything :). I need to try to smile when I can..

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cameras I the house that is monitor on my phone...Tiggers been sleeping since I left for work at 10:20. It’s 3:40

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe there are FDMB members in the Las Vegas area. You got two responses to your thread on FDMB so far. You'll get more responses soon. Check tomorrow morning for responses from the "experts".

You may want to bookmark this if you need help with some of the diabetic care costs: Diabetic Cats in Need

Fancy Feast Classic pates are just fine if your cat will eat that. Tiki Cat is great but might be too "posh" for your cat's taste buds. There are other brands of canned foods to try. Use this chart: https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf Feed any food that has under 10% carbs. Zero carbs is great but those tend to be seafood which isn't great to feed daily.

You can call the vet and tell him that you would be more comfortable giving just half a unit of insulin instead of a whole unit since your cat is not eating much and you do not want to risk hypoglycemia. U40 insulin syringes don't have half unit markings, though. You'll have to eyeball half a unit on the syringe.

Print this out for reference: Hypoglycemic (Hypo) Symptoms - Pet Health | Cat Health | Pet Supplies

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will he eat Fancy Feast Classics? That's not like pizza, it's actual meat. It doesn't have cheese or greasy pepperoni. It's not fried like junk food. It's meat and the moisture is good for cats. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can provide new foods, some cats tolerate it without too much problem. Start with a little new food next to the old food and gradually increase the new food.

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will he eat Fancy Feast Classics? That's not like pizza, it's actual meat. It doesn't have cheese or greasy pepperoni. It's not fried like junk food. It's meat and the moisture is good for cats. :)
I havent had any luck with him and pate :(:( broth either ...still trying

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im doing that with midnight trying to switch him from Fancy Feast chicken liver pate to Dr Elseys Clean Protein pate.

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you guys can find pictures of my babies in my profile or it may be one of the first posts of mine back in 2012

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also to an earlier post, I have to disagree respectfully that one Temptations treat is equivalent to a frosting covered sugar cookie for a human. Temptation treats are 2 cal per treat. The average cat should eat 30 cal per pound per day, so for an 8 pound cat that’s 240 cal. The wet food is 65 cal per can. If I give Tigger five treats that’s 10 cal. I do not think a 2 cal treat equates to a large frosting sugar cookie which I’m sure is a lot more calories to a human. No I’m not trying to defend Temptations treats although it sounds like I am, but honestly they are not horrific. They are just not top-of-the-line nutritious and they have 30% carbs.

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also to an earlier post, I have to disagree respectfully that one Temptations treat is equivalent to a frosting covered sugar cookie for a human. Temptation treats are 2 cal per treat. The average cat should eat 30 cal per pound per day, so for an 8 pound cat that’s 240 cal. The wet food is 65 cal per can. If I give Tigger five treats that’s 10 cal. I do not think a 2 cal treat equates to a large frosting sugar cookie which I’m sure is a lot more calories to a human. No I’m not trying to defend Temptations treats although it sounds like I am, but honestly they are not horrific. They are just not top-of-the-line nutritious and they have 30% carbs.
It may be 20 cal per pound for indoor cat, but still 10-20 cal for some treats until I can eat him off them. I watched my cameras all day while working..he has not touched the Nutro dry food

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not the calories in Temptations that is the problem. It's the ingredients. Diabetic cats need to avoid foods that contain grains and starches such as rice and corn and wheat. Some diabetics are very carb-sensitive.

temptations not a good treat? | Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

If all your cat will eat is Temptations, then feed it while trying to get him to eat diabetic-friendly food.