How to Get Mother Cat's Milk to Dry Up

tessey bear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kittens are 10 weeks old today. They have been eating both wet and dry food for awhile now, but still continue to nurse from time to time. Mom let's them but never for very long.

The problem is that the clinic where she will be spayed will not do her until her milk has dried up...they recommend 2 weeks from the end of nursing...and have told me that I could have weaned the babies at 6 weeks. They WERE eating/drinking at 6 weeks but they still nursed. I simply cannnot seperate the mom/babies, it would be impossible. I tried to put a sock round her belly and and she got it off in no time!

Any ideas????[/quote] my cat has been kitten free of kittens for over a month and still has milk, she can't be spayed until milk has dryed up , she is driving us mad please has anyone got any ideas what i can give her to dry up

Last edited by a moderator:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only way to get her milk to dry up is to prevent the kittens from nursing.  In the wild, the moms nurse one litter until the next one is born and often they end up nursing both big and little kittens if they dont swat off the bigger ones.  Their milk doesn't dry up until the end of breeding season, often after three or more litters!  If she is letting them nurse, then you need to keep either the kittens or the mother confined in a crate (like a large dog crate).  They can be in the same room and see each other, but they can't be allowed to nurse.  You can give them goat's milk in a bowl to satisfy that milk hunger.  You can get goat's milk at most supermarkets, either fresh in the dairy section or canned in the baking aisle along with the condensed milk.  Goats millk is good for them, but don't give them cow's milk as it doesn't agree with them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can also have her spayed somewhere else that does not require the milk to be dried up. My vet spayed my cat when her kittens were 8 weeks old. She continued to nurse for months. Not all vets/clinics require that mom be dry.