How to get kittens to eat?

starblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help again, Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for starting the kittens on food? I don't know what steps to take and in major need of help. Thank You all again for coming to my rescue when she was due. Shannon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starblossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens are now 4weeks old. How time flies.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 4 weeks you can set dry food out, but they may not touch it. The best way to get them started is to either try giving them wet kitten food, or buy the KMR milk replacer and warm it up. Add it to a little dry food and let it soak until soft. This is another way to get them to eat.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Starblossom
I need help again, Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for starting the kittens on food? I don't know what steps to take and in major need of help. Thank You all again for coming to my rescue when she was due. Shannon
Hi Shannon,
I agree about the wet food. If you can find it try to use kitten food, as it has more of what the kittens need than an adult blend. I would also add a teaspoon of plain yogurt to a 6oz size can for the extra calcium. Put it out in a couple of bowls as mom will certainly want to eat it as well and may push the kittens away from her dish. The kitten food won't hurt her either as it will help replace what she is using to feed the babies. If you have one that won't eat it try feeding it away from the rest, or try a baby food meat (no onions or onion powder in the ingredients). We use Beech Nut or Gerber. You might also mix up some Kitten Glop which is easy to make and inexpensive.

Pete