How to get into showing?

HoneyAndTheBean

Honcho and Rio's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am wondering how to go about learning how to get into showing. I have a beautiful baby Siamese mixed boy and would love to show him one day, just for fun really because i enjoy going to cat shows and he is growing up to be a beautiful cat so far. How to get into showing? Where can i find info on how to?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitten? And are you located in Houston, as it says in your profile?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Both CFA and TICA have Household Pet categories where you can show non-pedigreed cats.
CFA has information on showing HHPs here Showing Household Pets
TICA's information is here Non-Pedigreed Cats

You might want to go to a show as a spectator first just to see how the show is set up. You can talk to some of the exhibitors to get more information.

Or you could go ahead and enter a show to try it out. Just be sure to note on your entry form that you are a first-time exhibitor. The show manager can bench you near an experienced exhibitor who will help you learn the process.

It looks like the next CFA show near you is a 2-day show in Orange, TX, on Feb. 22-23. You can find a link to the show flyer on the Region 3 website https://www.cfagulfshore.org/
This show could be a good one for you to start with because they have a special low entry fee for Household Pets.

I don't know much about how the TICA shows are run. You can find their show schedule here Show Calendar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HoneyAndTheBean

Honcho and Rio's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Wow thats very helpful thank you so much (:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be shown in the Household Pet class as early as four months of age, so he is the perfect age to start showing! It's ideal to get cats accustomed to shows when they are still kittens, although many adult cats will adapt well to the show environment, too.

GoldyCat GoldyCat included a lot of great information, and I don't have much to add, except that you should feel free to ask any questions you might have about getting ready for a show :)

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is a very pretty cat! I have friends who show dogs, they are fun. Hope you and your cat enjoy yourselves:clap2:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a very pretty cat! I have friends who show dogs, they are fun. Hope you and your cat enjoy yourselves:clap2:
I have considered trying my hand at dogs, but the show is totally different than cat shows, so I am not sure I would like it. At the cats shows, we don't walk the cat around like you do with dogs (I would like to see someone try!:lol:) At dog shows, you leave after your ring unless you advance. At cat shows you stay. We cat people need to socialize! That is part of what attracts me to showing is talking to people about my breed of cat. Ask me a question at a show and I will talk your ears off! I imagine showing dogs is fun too. I think it is a lot more involved than showing cats.