How to get cats to stay quiet?

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats meow non-stop. I think it's because I reply to them/we talk and they reply back, so they get used to "talking", and don't shut up.

Usually moreso when they are in heat (have 2 females). We can't spay them, for religious reasons.

Sometimes I have to lock them in the litter box room just to get some peace & quiet, and they still meow and scratch the door (loudly).

They have multiple toys which they like to play with, and they have a cat scratcher which works great.

The only thing I can think of is getting a few more toys to keep them occupied, instead of chasing each other around my small apartment.

Anyone have a solution or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I may ask, just curious, no disrespect intended, but what religion frowns upon spaying/neutering pets? You understand, your problem would be eliminated if you would have your ladies' spayed, then no more noise to have to put up with. Really that simple. Again, I am ignorant, just trying to understand. Thanks.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
If the females are going into heat, expect some serious loud meows. Extra petting and playtime can help to a degree and some herbal remedies can also help lessen the situation.

Please, if you can, reconsider spraying your kitties. Spaying/neutering can help your cats avoid a whole host of health problems. Being a religious person myself, I respect all religions, but I will say that my religion stops with me, it is not imposed on any other living beings.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat in heat will, as you are aware, yowl loudly and continuously and there is nothing you can do to stop it except let them out to mate or get them spayed. And if they don’t get pregnant, they will continue to cycle in and out of heat so often that they seem like they are constantly yowling and miserable. If your religious belief prohibit spaying you can talk with your vet to see if there is a medication alternative and should you get any additional cats you would be better off with a male.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you consider to get your self male cats though, please keep in mind that it is very common for the male to "spray" all over your house, to mark EVERYTHING as his, part of his territory. This is just a thing a male who is not neutered will very possibly do.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are not religious and won’t mind if you spay them. Please spay and neuter your cats. If not, then don’t complain when they meow. Sorry to be blunt, but you can’t have it both ways.

Also, don’t lock up your cats. It won’t make them meow less and it’s not nice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhatchaCallKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I may ask, just curious, no disrespect intended, but what religion frowns upon spaying/neutering pets? You understand, your problem would be eliminated if you would have your ladies' spayed, then no more noise to have to put up with. Really that simple. Again, I am ignorant, just trying to understand. Thanks.
Judaism

It's actually all the time, just worse when they're in heat. I think it's because I used to reply/talk with them & now they meow all of the time. I'm going to avoid talking with them for a while, to see if it helps.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I respect your religious beliefs but there is a very long history of Jewish rabbis debating the specifics of religious directives. Not sure if you are willing to consider some of them but..... From this website...Does Jewish law permit neutering animals?

"the tactic of selling the animal to a non-Jew is still often used to get around the strict rule against castration." Which is basically you sell them to someone who gets the spayed and buy them back after.

"Another halakhic “loophole” derives from the fact that, while some scholars maintain that females are also included in the biblical prohibition from removing sexual organs, normative halakha considers this a lighter rabbinic violation. This is reflected in the permission given to women to use oral contraceptives to prevent dangerous or unusually painful childbirths, even at the risk of permanent sterilization.
In fact, one significant decisor (Taz 5:6) considers the prohibition against female sterilization to stem only from the larger proscription of causing someone pain. Since surgical sterilization takes place under full anesthetic, the prohibition would not apply.
Thus, given the lighter strictures regarding females and claims of significant health benefits, Rabbi Shlomo Aviner allows a Jewish veterinarian to spay female pets (She’elat Shlomo v.6). Other decisors prefer that the procedure be carried out—at least partially—by a non-Jewish veterinarian."

Talking to the girls when they meow doesn't encourage the yelling. They are in heat and yelling to get a Male's attention. As long as the are unaltered there isnt a way to stop them from meowing for a Male. Locking them in the room I do understand for some quiet but it does essentially create a cycle of them thinking their scratching and meowing is the cause of their release so they will just try harder.

Do note that they are at risk for pyometra, Pyometra in Cats, by being unspayed. You will want to start an emergency fund (if you haven't already) and pay attention for signs. It is life threatening, needs to be treated immediately if it occurs and does have a high cost being an emergency surgery.

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was pointing out the simple fact that cats will meow and they will meow even more when they are not spayed. You are holding them to the standard of your religion and then complaining when they behave in a way that they are by nature inevitably going to behave when they are not spayed. Either get them spayed and stop locking them in the litter box room or don’t be surpised when they meow a lot because they are in heat or because you locked them in the litter box room.

Choosing to live your own life a certain way because of religious beliefs is your right. But imposing your religion on others, whether human or animal, when we have plenty of evidence showing that spaying cats is better for their health and for the population of cats as a whole is in my opinion cruel. Thousands of cats are killed in shelters every day because of overpopulation. In my perspective it’s a no-brainer. Spay your cat, they will meow less, be less susceptible to certain diseases, and you won’t contribute to the overpopulation and suffering of cats.

Last edited by a moderator:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats meow non-stop. I think it's because I reply to them/we talk and they reply back, so they get used to "talking", and don't shut up.

Usually moreso when they are in heat (have 2 females). We can't spay them, for religious reasons.

Sometimes I have to lock them in the litter box room just to get some peace & quiet, and they still meow and scratch the door (loudly).

They have multiple toys which they like to play with, and they have a cat scratcher which works great.

The only thing I can think of is getting a few more toys to keep them occupied, instead of chasing each other around my small apartment.

Anyone have a solution or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
I recently read a fatal illness female cats can get from not being spayed. Besides meowing cats will mark thier territory. A friend of mine rescued a cat with 3 big sacs in her from males mating over and over again. Video is too gross to show. None of the kittens survived. The mom did.