How to get cat to tolerate e-collar?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had three situations this year when the vet has sent my cats home with e-collars, and all three times, I've ended up having to take them off because it was pretty clear the cats were going to injure themselves trying to get it off.

The latest was today when one of my older cats had to have several tooth extractions. The vet used sutures and wanted to protect them. Despite my best efforts to comfort him, he completely flipped out about the e-collar. He was tearing around the room, running into things, flipping over, and pawing at the collar. I've never seen him that crazy. After I removed it, he calmed down completely and is resting comfortably.

So if people do use them, how in the world do you get a cat to accept an e-collar without going insane and potentially causing damage instead of preventing it?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has never used them. even after extensive surgery. The cat licks the area for a few minutes and then settles down. Of the almost countless cats I have had spayed and many other surgeries, I have not had one cat that had to go back because the site opened. I have had the site open a tiny bit, like a 1/4 of an inch, but that was from movement, not licking. They healed fine.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The latest was today when one of my older cats had to have several tooth extractions. The vet used sutures and wanted to protect them. Despite my best efforts to comfort him, he completely flipped out about the e-collar. He was tearing around the room, running into things, flipping over, and pawing at the collar. I've never seen him that crazy. After I removed it, he calmed down completely and is resting comfortably.
Is it one of those lampshade cone collars? Most cats hate those. You can buy soft donut shaped collars at pet stores. Those seem more tolerable.

Tooth extractions don't generally require a cone afterwards. You can try leaving the cone off and discourage the cat from pawing at the mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, the collars my vet gave me were the clear plastic "lampshade" type collars. In all three situations, with three different cats, the collars caused them to freak out in violent attempts to remove the collars.

In two cases, I just removed the collars, and everything was fine. We'll see how the surgery from yesterday goes, but the vet continues to push use of the collar. Of course, the vet doesn't have to deal with the reactions.