How To Get A Young Stray Cat To Come Near You?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently there’s a mother cat which has been appearing in our premises. She’s very friendly and always approached us first. We do feed her whenever she appears and sometimes she brings along 1 or 2 kids. They are not very young to the extend I would say they are kittens, but probably adolescent cats - they are still very small size though. They do come near their mom when she’s eating the food I gave but once I move an inch, they ran off in a speed of light. Food definitely can’t lure them in. Determined, I once caught one and carried in my hands. Surprisingly she (one of the adolescent cats is a girl) didn’t scratch me and was not resistant to my touch. I want to be able to feed them comfortably like how I feed the mother cat...touching them when they are eating...and get it’s trust. (Can they not avoid me anymore!!) I see that the kittens are no longer drinking milk from mom and I would like to feed them with my dry food. Help me bond with the kittens pls! :( I have 2 regulars I’ve been feeding and won’t mind another 3!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Patience and lots of it. Sit on the floor when you are feeding the mum, no fast movements, talk softly. You need to build up their trust in you, let them get used to seeing you and the sound of your voice without them feeling threatened. Put a few treats down for them a little distance from you and gradually shorten the space between you. It may take some time but it will be well worth it on the end. Let us know how you get on.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a similar situation where a young cat showed up at my neighbor's house. Very hesitant, but wanted the food. Next thing we know a kitten (also not real young showed up). By that time, my neighbor had gained some trust with the young cat, but the kitten would not even show itself. If the neighbor went outside, the kitten would immediately run away. My neighbor built them little homes to stay in and on occasion would find both of them in the little houses, but always the kitten would escape and take off when she saw my neighbor.

Long story not so short, my neighbor fed, petted, talked to, and sat with the young cat, and eventually the kitten watched instead of running. It took MONTHS before the kitten would let my neighbor even touch it slightly. It was all because she watched the young cat and learned from that.

The young cat became pregnant before my neighbor was comfortable in trapping them both. But, they were eventually trapped before the young cat gave birth.

That kitten has since been spayed/tested/vaccinated and adopted to a loving home. Mama and her new kittens are ready for adoption now.

When you can trap them do so. For the sake of the kittens and for the sake of not letting anyone of them get pregnant.