How To Get A Picky Cat To Eat Raw?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am keeping my cats on canned diet, but I'd like to give Cassie chicken necks or wings to help with her teeth. She refuses to touch them. Monet loves the neck and wings and made quite a difference in his teeth health, I want to do the same for Cassie since her teeth is full of tarter and plaque.

Once upon a time ago I tried raw and she didn't eat much of it, only because she had to and I felt it wasn't fair for her to be forced to eat something she wasn't happy with. so I went back to wet.

Any ideas on how I can get her to eat them? any sort of flavoring to add?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For my big guy, I'm using a store bought frozen raw so I thaw out a couple pieces and mix those in with something I know he likes.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't force it. If she likes it cooked, and it's properly balanced, that should be fine. If she doesn't like that, stick with canned food. If you're concerned about her teeth, training her to let you brush her teeth is a super good idea to help reduce tartar build-up

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may have to "teach" her how to eat chunks/bones. I would start with small pieces of raw meat, around pea-sized. Then slowly increase the size of the pieces. Eventually, she'll figure out how to use her side teeth to gnaw. You can also try raw chicken hearts. My cats love them and it was one of the first chunks they figured out.

After she's eating larger chunks of meat, you can add bone-in pieces like wings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
thanks all!
She knows how to eat them as she has before. Just doesn't want to eat them.

I'll try smaller and work my way up.

I do brush her teeth when she lets me, but it's such a battle, I want to try an easier route with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Just a quick followup..

I tried hiding the chicken neck in her wet food, buried it completely. I guess the smell of the wet was enough, she ate it! All of it!