How to get a cat to like the leash?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, recently we wanted to get our adopted stray cat which has been living outside for half of her life to go outside for a walk. But the moment we put her on the protective cover leash, she doesn't want to move at all. If we are bringing her out...i guess she will just lie on the ground and not move! How do i make her get moving? I feel that bringing her out would make her feel really happy since shes a stray... Advices pls!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Mostly time, and repeatedly putting on the harness, leaving it on for just a little bit at first then take it off, then next time for longer, then just take it off without worrying about actually going anywhere. Eventually your cat will realize it's ok and start to walk normally. My boy took a while but we got there :)

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
i tried with spooky and I ended up with her claw in my arm bleeding through my shirt and a huge bruise she's never forgiven me for putting a leash on her

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, recently we wanted to get our adopted stray cat which has been living outside for half of her life to go outside for a walk. But the moment we put her on the protective cover leash, she doesn't want to move at all. If we are bringing her out...i guess she will just lie on the ground and not move! How do i make her get moving? I feel that bringing her out would make her feel really happy since shes a stray... Advices pls!

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We trained our kitty on a leash when she was a kitten. We travelled with her for work, so it was for her safety. I know that it’s much better to start them as young as possible. Don’t know how old your kitty is. Our girl walked on the leash with no problems. The only thing was, she went where SHE wanted to go, not where we wanted her to go. A cat is not a dog. Good luck. Hope she can get used to it.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the harness is the problem no worries. The restriction makes them look as if incapacitated until getting used to. After initial harness training I harness minish only 2 or 3 times a year she gives the same reaction of immobility every time. Minish is food motivated so I dangle some yummy treats. She starts walking and playing around like this she starts jumping in about half an hour. Then she's completely relaxed with it.

kittycatinthehat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For my cat I put the harness and leash on her for 5 minutes or so several times indoors so she could get used to it. She was not happy at first but now does not mind, and she gets excited and goes by the door. I think for them to like it and enjoy it its important to take them where they feel comfortable. I tried taking my cat to a big open park and she was terrified, but she really loves short hikes in the woods. I guess she feels safer there, and I think all the smells and fun things to explore keep her interested.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it takes a while to first get them used to the harness inside before venturing outdoors. My Chrissy would fall over on her side and just lay there when we first started putting on the harness. It took a few weeks, but then she got used to it and was walking around the house in it. DO NOT take a cat out where they are not familiar, especially in the beginning. Believe me, they can be escape artists when they want to be, especially is a dog comes charging up! Just keep it around the house and yard for a while. We finally ended up with what they call a figure 8 harness for her that tightens when they pull backwards against it. It was the only one that held her. The other cats were fine in regular ones, you'll just have to find out. After a few weeks, they look forward to going out and really enjoy themselves.

redheadcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently started walking my cat as well. I let him wear the harness around the house for a couple of days before I actually took him outside. He didn't wear it all day and at first he was not a fan, but because he could do his own thing and get use to the feel he did come around quickly. He also is obsessed with his walks now so that helps!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah is ok with the harness and leash. It's going outside thats the issue. I put the harness on her, take her outside, put her down, then she makes a beeline for the front door. She's like "ok mom, I'd like to go back inside now!"

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Cookie the other cat we have went out on a leash and has now become a indoor/outdoor cat s spooky is fixed but I don't think she likes the leash at all