How to fix dry flaky skin

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat looks like she has dandruff. She always has white flakes all over her fur. I asked her vet about it and she told me its natural but that is not good enough for me. Believe me I have owned several cats in my 68 years and not one had flakes on their fur.

I want to help her have better skin that isn't dry and flaky. What are some ways to help her out? I tried salmon oil in her diet and that didn't help. Should I bathe her in a moisturizing bath with conditioner? is there something that I can include in her diet? There used to be a product called Linanool or Linool? (sp) or something like that that worked wonderfully on a cat's coat and skin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My long haired girl gets dandruff mainly in the summer. Salman oil didn't work for her either. I brush her every day and occasionally dip the tips of my fingers in coconut oil and massage onto her skin. It leaves the coat a bit greasy for several days but clears the dandruff for quite a while.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s not really normal brushing frequently can help unless it’s Walking Dandruff

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought a different brand of oil, Omega 3 for cats by Nordic. I still think a fish type oil will help and maybe I just didn't get the right one before. I bought that orange bottle of Salmon Oil by Wild Alaskan and that was the one that did nada for her. She also turned her nose up to both the smell and taste. So maybe this Nordic brand will help.

I like the idea of massaging a bit of oil into her fur verna. Since I am a soaper and B&B maker I have a plethora of various body oils in stock to choose from. But I think maybe some olive or sunflower oil as both of these are high in oleic acid and natural vitamins A & E which will be good for her dry skin.

Will give them both a try and see if it helps. She doesn't scratch or appear itchy or uncomfortable but I can't imagine dry flaky dandruff skin is the most comfortable. She is probably used to it but I want to make her more comfortable and have healthy skin and fur that doesn't flake like hers does.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry air can cause flaky skin in pets just like it does in people. Use a humidifier in your home to add moisture to the air.

Some cats may just have naturally drier flakier skin than others. Just comb the fur daily to remove the flakes and to stimulate the skin to produce natural oils.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fortunately its not the low humidity. Its been a very humid summer and fall here. I have a humidity gauge in my home so I always know what the humidity is. So its something besides dry air.

I also brush her daily, give her massages, and scratches along her spine and butt that she loves. My worry is that she is a domestic short hair and its not necessary to brush her daily. I've been doing it because I was hoping to stimulate her natural oil production. Lately she has been resistant to daily brushing so I have scaled back but still give her massages and back scratching which she loves.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A thumbs up for Omega 3 oil. That’s what I used to stop her dandruff. Being a tuxedo, it really showed on her. She will not eat it in her food, I have to give it by mouth, but it’s worth it.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A thumbs up for Omega 3 oil. That’s what I used to stop her dandruff. Being a tuxedo, it really showed on her. She will not eat it in her food, I have to give it by mouth, but it’s worth it.
That sounds encouraging! I just started her on the Omega-3 oil today. How long before you noticed you cat's dandruff stopped after giving her the oil?

BTW, I just mixed it in her wet food and she ate it all up. Easy peasy!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’ll see a difference right away, certainly within a week. Her vet has a fit over her coat. I just give it to her about once a week now. Yours will eat it in her food? Lucky you! Lol

Pi_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is from a month ago but sometimes I take a warm damp washcloth and give my cat a mini bath, just wiping him a bit with the washcloth. My thinking is it's just occasionally helping get dust, etc off his coat and he seems to feel happy after I do that. I gently wipe his face and areas it's hard for him to wash. I wouldn't do that often as it could be more drying but I feel like occasionally it's good for him.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Resurrecting an older thread here because I've lately noticed the same issue. My cat has had dry / flaky / dandruffy skin before but never this bad. It's mostly on near the back. Her coat back there seems very dry and dull-looking. Here's one thing...while she has always been on Omega-3, I lately cut her dose way back after looking at the bottle directions and seeing that I've been giving at least double what is suggested for a daily dose. So thought I'd try doing as suggested. I'm giving her about 35 mL twice a day, which roughly comes up to the approx. 75 indicated per day. Prior to cutting back, I was probably doing double this amount or moreso. Suggestions? Go back to the higher dose? I used strong glasses this morning and looked at her coat really close and I don't see anything moving so hoping it's just normal dandruff. She only tolerates brushing back there for so long and then gets a little nasty if I continue. I'll gladly make an appt. at the vet if warranted. Except for the dandruff, eating / acting normally. Thanks for any thoughts.