How to find my cat's biological mother

CocoCici

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this will sound like a fruitless mission, but I want to give her a home, too, or reunite mother and daughter if she already has a home.

In 2017, I found my cat through a Facebook group advertising local pets. The posting no longer exists. I don't remember the seller's (wrong word? she was free) name and the phone number I had for him was lost when my old phone died. We met in a public place, so I don't know where She was the last homed of her litter. At the time, I couldn't have any more pets in my rental house. I'm a homeowner now.

I do not believe the mother was his cat. I may be mistaken. She was an outdoor cat who had kittens on his large, rural property. If she is technically his cat... I could at least ask? Worst I could hear would be no? I don't know how to find the guy.

I've looked into everything, even DNA testing, but unless I'm mistaken, DNA testing for cats isn't like ancestry.com for us.

Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CocoCici

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know how to edit this post. One sentence should have ended with "I don't know where he lives".

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how to edit this post. One sentence should have ended with "I don't know where he lives".
I believe you need to make a minimum of 20 posts before you can edit.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a DNA test that can prove parentage (breeders use it if more than one male got to their female and they want to know which one fathered a kitten) but you kind of need to have both animals around to test. If you don't know his name or where he lives I have no idea where to even start.

Maybe it would be a good thing to adopt an older stray and assign her the title of honorary mother :D.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
May I ask why this is important to you?
While we place a great deal of emotion in the idea of reuniting a mother and their child. However in the case of cats, after three years even if you could be absolutely certain you had found your cat’s mother, they would not likely recognize one another and it would be no different than adopting another grown cat. If you do want another adult cat, there are many at shelters in need of a warm and loving home.