How To Find A Kitten With A Shy But Clingy Personality

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitten! I would love to see her. I hope you guys love on each other for many years!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread i adopted a kitten, a long haired calico female, when i saw her at the shelter she was huddled up in the corner and really scared and looked really sad. Her litter mates had all been adopted she was the last one. And i had to get her, i didn't want to stress her out by trying to play with her so i didn't ask to take her out of the kennel. So i don't know how she acts yet but she looks very sweet in all her photos, but she could be aggressive/claw a lot, If she is I'll be back on the forums asking questions.
Congratulations on your new friend. How old is she? Kitten Pix?

Make sure to give her lots of time to adjust to her new home and new people. Set up a safe room and take a lot of time just sitting in there playing on your phone/tablet and talking to yourself. Give her some food and some treats and she should adjust relatively quickly.

Don't be surprised or upset if she gets really withdrawn for a few days. This was my former feral's first night with us:

You are going to have to build your friendship at the speed the cat wants to go. That could be much slower than you really want. It took a few months for Barry to fully relax, but he did. For the first few weeks I spent HOURS sitting in a bathroom after work half ignoring him and half trying to temp him with treats. It was definitely all worth it

She's 9 weeks and really tiny, i had to wait 3 days to bring her home cause she was too underweight to get neutered, she's home now and scared of me, hiding. I'm not trying to coax her out because its the first day, she is a hissing at me but i know she's not used to Humans yet, and I'm very patient and will love to work on earning her trust. Would she be considered feral since she wasn't raised around humans? And if so what's the best way to approach her.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
She's 9 weeks and really tiny, i had to wait 3 days to bring her home cause she was too underweight to get neutered, she's home now and scared of me, hiding. I'm not trying to coax her out because its the first day, she is a hissing at me but i know she's not used to Humans yet, and I'm very patient and will love to work on earning her trust. Would she be considered feral since she wasn't raised around humans? And if so what's the best way to approach her.

She's exploring though, which i didn't expect since she did just get neutered which is a bit concerning since i don't want her to get hurt. She keeps looking at me and hiding, i don't blame her though.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At 9 weeks she is probably not feral - you are her contact with humans. Tempting her with a wand toy or string should draw her out (don't leave string around - she could swallow it and have some troubles). She should also be pretty food motivated as a little kitten, so use treats, lots of treats to get her to associate you with good stuff. (She will be growing so fast and eating so much that you don't have to worry about overfeeding treats). Take lots of pictures - the fuzzy kitten stage is super cute and over so fast.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
She's exploring though, which i didn't expect since she did just get neutered which is a bit concerning since i don't want her to get hurt. She keeps looking at me and hiding, i don't blame her though.
Shes also crying a bit is there anyway to comfort her without me touching her i feel so bad, maybe she's just hungry
At 9 weeks she is probably not feral - you are her contact with humans. Tempting her with a wand toy or string should draw her out (don't leave string around - she could swallow it and have some troubles). She should also be pretty food motivated as a little kitten, so use treats, lots of treats to get her to associate you with good stuff. (She will be growing so fast and eating so much that you don't have to worry about overfeeding treats). Take lots of pictures - the fuzzy kitten stage is super cute and over so fast.

Okay, i don't think i could play with her till they get the stitches out on the 17th which is a bummer, but i could feed her which has been good way at having her not be so afraid of me. I fed her at 4:00 pm last night cause she was crying so much, luckily once i fed her she calmed down.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shes also crying a bit is there anyway to comfort her without me touching her i feel so bad, maybe she's just hungry

Okay, i don't think i could play with her till they get the stitches out on the 17th which is a bummer, but i could feed her which has been good way at having her not be so afraid of me. I fed her at 4:00 pm last night cause she was crying so much, luckily once i fed her she calmed down.
Please dont limit her food, she’s growing rapidly and needs to eat as much as she wants, she needs unlimited access to food then.
I’m not a vet but such small kitens have very small incisions and heal super quickly, I don’t think that if she’s playing, running she can hurt herself.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please dont limit her food, she’s growing rapidly and needs to eat as much as she wants, she needs unlimited access to food then.
I’m not a vet but such small kitens have very small incisions and heal super quickly, I don’t think that if she’s playing, running she can hurt herself.
Just limit jumping and rough play. She can still play with wand toys, balls, stuffed animals...

And feed her as much as she will eat. I free-fed my kittens at that age.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
Just limit jumping and rough play. She can still play with wand toys, balls, stuffed animals...

And feed her as much as she will eat. I free-fed my kittens at that age.
I was worried she'd throw up the food which is why i waited a bit before giving her food. But today I'll follow the vets orders and give her 3 small meals or more if she's hungry at night still, and then on sunday I'll be less strict cause that's when it says i could feed her normally. As for playing though I'd rather wait at least another 2 days to try to play with her just to make sure her wounds don't open.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was worried she'd throw up the food which is why i waited a bit before giving her food. But today I'll follow the vets orders and give her 3 small meals or more if she's hungry at night still, and then on sunday I'll be less strict cause that's when it says i could feed her normally. As for playing though I'd rather wait at least another 2 days to try to play with her just to make sure her wounds don't open.
She'll be fine if she's just rolling around or batting at things. It's honestly healthier for her than keeping her completely cooped up.

Kittens must eat frequently. My kittens both ate normal meals the night they came home from their surgeries, and it's been longer than that for your girl.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they are that small their tummies can't hold much, so they eat times a day/nibble all day. About play I think calm play where she just s bats at things (no jumping) should be just fine.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
When they are that small their tummies can't hold much, so they eat times a day/nibble all day. About play I think calm play where she just s bats at things (no jumping) should be just fine.

I started playing with her, and she became a jumpy kitty, she's very active but still very shy and scared of humans. Which i don't mind she calms down after i stop playing with her. I better lay my cat towers down just in case she decides to climb while I'm sleeping.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
I started playing with her, and she became a jumpy kitty, she's very active but still very shy and scared of humans. Which i don't mind she calms down after i stop playing with her. I better lay my cat towers down just in case she decides to climb while I'm sleeping.
I forgot to mention she doesn't claw or hiss at anyone she started purring when my mom picked her up. But now i have to figure out how to keep her from darting out of my room and hiding somewhere. Which i think starts with gaining her trust.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
Also anyone with a adopted kitten that is now fully grown, is your cat more tempted to run outdoors.
I forgot to mention she doesn't claw or hiss at anyone she started purring when my mom picked her up. But now i have to figure out how to keep her from darting out of my room and hiding somewhere. Which i think starts with gaining her trust.
Update, she's a purring machine, once i pet her she started meowing, rubbing against me and kneading. It's a bit scary how loving she is, I've never met a cat or kitten like her. I don't think she's gonna be very shy around humans. I don't mind though she deserves to be loved her name is pepper btw the shelter chose the name but it suits her. I'll post pics soonï
L

Mlm

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update, she's a purring machine, once i pet her she started meowing, rubbing against me and kneading. It's a bit scary how loving she is, I've never met a cat or kitten like her.
Take advantage of this! This behavior is partly love but it is also comfort seeking. Give it to her and let her know that you're the one she can rely on for it. Two of our three are purring machines - and they have turned into real love bugs.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Also anyone with a adopted kitten that is now fully grown, is your cat more tempted to run outdoors.
Mooshoo loves looking out the window, and I think she's curious about the door or she's just greeting me when I come in, but she does not show any desire to go outside when the doors are closed. But I for sure have to watch when I go in or out the doors, she may get curious enough to try to bolt out the door.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! I'm happy you found your dream cat! My cat's the other way around, too confident for his own good. He's pretty independent and mostly plays on his own. So I cling to him when I want a cuddle. Good thing he's patient and doesn't mind, lol!

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
Take advantage of this! This behavior is partly love but it is also comfort seeking. Give it to her and let her know that you're the one she can rely on for it. Two of our three are purring machines - and they have turned into real love bugs.
I'm giving her all of my love, and playtime. I'm the only one she's not scared of so far, so she's only with me. I'm gonna need to make her comfortable with venturing outside my room since she's very active and my room isn't very big. She's been too scared to step outside of my bedroom doesn't like the loud noises a.k.a people talking/walking.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's normal for a cat to be scared of new noises, spaces, and people. You can help her gradually expand her territory by moving her toys and other scent-marked items (blankets, bedding, scratchers) slowly outside your room, so that she can feel safe enough to explore a bit.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It took Marple a week to adjust when we moved. She just needs time!

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
This is gonna be my last reply i got her stitches out today, and its safe to say she's the exact opposite from what i was looking for, she's very active which is a good thing cause she keeps me occupied, i play with her everyday i missed only one day. She's still very loving, Just a little crazy. I cut her nails (just so her scratches don't hurt so much she only scratches me when she has the zoomies and decides to jump on me) she doesn't mind it at all it's surprisingly easy. Also the picture quality on my phone is literal potato quality so she'll just look like a blob but I'll see if i can get pictures of my moms phone.