how to entertain bored cat that's recovering from spay?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rivel Has her sutures and cone taken out today, but she is still not reccomended to do strenous activity. She's showing signs of boredom because she can't play. I usually make her hunt feather stick every morning and evening.

She started overreacting on random insect, house gecko, and scratching the sofa (she use her scratch post, but other stuff also become a victim)

The best i can do is probably puzzle feeders.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any small toys she can chase? Don't throw them too far but enough to make her chase them. They have phone apps for cats now too. Download one and set your phone on the phone and let her chase the objects. I would think light play would be ok. Just not extreme jumping and running around like zoomies. Sorry I can't offer more advice. Gracie was pretty much back to normal a day or two after her spay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have any small toys she can chase? Don't throw them too far but enough to make her chase them. They have phone apps for cats now too. Download one and set your phone on the phone and let her chase the objects. I would think light play would be ok. Just not extreme jumping and running around like zoomies. Sorry I can't offer more advice. Gracie was pretty much back to normal a day or two after her spay.
I have a puzzle feeder that she can play with, that's it. She won't play with toys unless it is interactive. Oh yeah, i have this app called cat alone, she wasn't too interested before, but now she's bored she might play around with it forca bit.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a puzzle feeder that she can play with, that's it. She won't play with toys unless it is interactive. Oh yeah, i have this app called cat alone, she wasn't too interested before, but now she's bored she might play around with it forca bit.
:ohwell: I never had a single cat (always two) so I never had to deal with boredom before. They also entertained themselves (more than they should sometimes). I hope you find something to get her more active.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:ohwell: I never had a single cat (always two) so I never had to deal with boredom before. They also entertained themselves (more than they should sometimes). I hope you find something to get her more active.
Yeah, unfortunately 2 cats aren't Viable for me now and i don't know how rivel would react with another cat (she was a street cat)

It's not like she can't, but doctor reccomended not to make her do strenous activity for at least another week.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, unfortunately 2 cats aren't Viable for me now and i don't know how rivel would react with another cat (she was a street cat)

It's not like she can't, but doctor reccomended not to make her do strenous activity for at least another week.
I understand. We just happen to always have two drop in our laps at the same time (siblings). Never had to deal with two cats not from the same litter. It's still pretty soon after her spay so hopefully her energy comes back in a few days. Some of it just might be pure pouting. :lol: My Boone was a pouter after his neuter while his sister Gracie was more "how dare you deface my perfect little body you horrible horrible human" after her spay. :rolleyes: I swear if she was my human kid, her antics would get on my nerves so quickly. Lucky for her, she is a cat and I find them funny.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand. We just happen to always have two drop in our laps at the same time (siblings). Never had to deal with two cats not from the same litter. It's still pretty soon after her spay so hopefully her energy comes back in a few days. Some of it just might be pure pouting. :lol: My Boone was a pouter after his neuter while his sister Gracie was more "how dare you deface my perfect little body you horrible horrible human" after her spay. :rolleyes: I swear if she was my human kid, her antics would get on my nerves so quickly. Lucky for her, she is a cat and I find them funny.
I know right. She spent like a lot of time grooming after 1 week in her cone that i might worry she overgrooms. I mean it's understandable, probably feels like if we don't Shower for a week haha (and i live in tropical country, you pretty much have go shower at least daily or your body become a swamp).

At least she looks a lot happier that her cone is off now.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i tried playing her the 8 hour bird videos on youtube, it held her attention for like 2 minutes, then peeked behind the TV and figured it's fake fast and lost interest lol

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly wouldn’t worry about it except to stop any not okay behavior like scratching furniture. You could try some good catnip or catnip toys like a Yeoww banana. Most cats will roll around with it and then take a nap. Or give her something like a cardboard box with some holes cut in it and a few mousie toys for her to shove in and take out of the holes. It’s play but pretty stationary.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little jealous that Rivel is so quiet afterwards. If all I had to deal with was furniture scratching, I'd be happy. Gracie was flying off the walls after hers. They must have used industrial strength surgical glue because she never had any issues. She was more concerned with the tattoo incision than her surgery incision. I think the green was distracting to her so her focus was on that.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a little jealous that Rivel is so quiet afterwards. If all I had to deal with was furniture scratching, I'd be happy. Gracie was flying off the walls after hers. They must have used industrial strength surgical glue because she never had any issues. She was more concerned with the tattoo incision than her surgery incision. I think the green was distracting to her so her focus was on that.
gracie is unstoppable bundle of energy lol. lucky she has boone with her. the days taking care of her during recovery is worth it. she's a lot more attentive to me, less mischief like climbing the window screen and clawing at the front door lol. reduces risk of mammary/ovarian cancer too.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it except to stop any not okay behavior like scratching furniture. You could try some good catnip or catnip toys like a Yeoww banana. Most cats will roll around with it and then take a nap. Or give her something like a cardboard box with some holes cut in it and a few mousie toys for her to shove in and take out of the holes. It’s play but pretty stationary.
i will try some catnip thanks :) stationery toys never really interest rivel, but with catnip . . might worth a try.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gracie is unstoppable bundle of energy lol. lucky she has boone with her. the days taking care of her during recovery is worth it. she's a lot more attentive to me, less mischief like climbing the window screen and clawing at the front door lol. reduces risk of mammary/ovarian cancer too.

i will try some catnip thanks :) stationery toys never really interest rivel, but with catnip . . might worth a try.
Your description of Gracie is more kind than ours. To us, she is the Devil's child. :lol: Yesterday, I think I swatted her butt numerous times and it didn't even faze her. The more I tried to stop her, the more determined she was to do it.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your description of Gracie is more kind than ours. To us, she is the Devil's child. :lol: Yesterday, I think I swatted her butt numerous times and it didn't even faze her. The more I tried to stop her, the more determined she was to do it.
How old is she again? Sounds like teenager problem.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Swatting a cat or kitten does nothing to train the and may make them fearful of you. Repeatedly removing them or making areas less accessible or interesting does far more.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swatting a cat or kitten does nothing to train the and may make them fearful of you. Repeatedly removing them or making areas less accessible or interesting does far more.
I know that. I repeatedly removed her and continued to repeatedly remove her. By swatting, I am not talking about spanking. Trust me, she is not fearful of me. This girl is literally my shadow when I am home. I can't even sit on the toilet without her jumping on my lap!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Koshka pulled a muscle last year and couldn’t play. I put Tom and Jerry videos on my tablet. She would watch them avidly until she fell asleep.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat tv might be an option. Look up “cat tv” on YouTube.

If you have secure screens, I would give her a bird watching window perch. You can give her steps or a foot stool to get to the perch easier. Lots of bird feeders, a bird bath and maybe some squirrel (orcrickets for the lizards.)

A small critter cage with some crickets in it, might be interesting for your cat.

I dragged wand toys for Cami to chase (but not jump around) after she was spayed.