How to Ease Surgeried Cats Back Into Household

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that when cats return from the vet after surgery, the remaining cats in the household don't recognize the returning ones because of scent. I will quarantine the returning cats for a while in their own room, but wondered what suggestions anyone had to speed up the process?

I searched the boards and found rub all cats with corn starch baby powder and also vanilla extract. Any other ideas? What about Feliway spray?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After about 12 hours keeping my patients in isolation, I tried the "vanilla extract trick" on everyone's noses and tail bases. After I got done, we all smelled like vanilla. I released the infirmed, one or two growls and that was it. In the past, I've had the non-recognition/aggression go on for several days. Always something to learn..

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That is great news. How are the cats doing after their surgery?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was just their neuterings. They were up and around in several hours after being home and started getting rammy in the back bedroom pretty quickly. I released them around midnight all "vanilla-ed" and everybody got back to normal in short order. Today, the day after, it's as if nothing every happened.

I had a previous experience where one cat continued attacking a surgeried cat for days after. That was a more complicated surgery, maybe he had more smell to disperse - or maybe it was the vanilla.