How to discipline children

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've discovered that kids that behave are kids who have a structured environment. That doesn't mean like a boot camp by any means, but to have specific activities planned at certain times. This gives them something to look forward to, and also keeps them occupied and behaving well. For instance, after lunch each day perhaps schedule painting, or a craft. And always keep the sessions short enough so they don't get bored. We do our major activities between 1-3, and then have snack....it works out perfect.

Nena, just because you don't have a car doesn't mean you can't have fun!!!!! Kids love crafts, nature, reading, silly games. For about $10 you can go to Walmart and get construction paper and glue and maybe some other things and try doing some craft projects. Things like pipe cleaners, fuzzy balls, different textured stuff all works well. Especially if you stick to a theme.......we just did spring. We cut out flower pots and flowers and glued them all together and made a "pretend" garden. It took 2 afternoons, and the kids were delighted w/ their results. You could also buy a pack of seeds ( like 89cents or so ) and try doing some planting with them. All you'd need is a cheap bag of potting soil, and a window with good light. They can watch the progress over a period of a couple of weeks, and they get all excited when it starts to grow!

There are endless possibilities on a strict budget. Kids also love to cook. Although the stove is too dangerous, instant pudding, or ice cream sundaes are fun for them to do themselves.

We do the game "simon says" a lot ,and ring around the rosy. My 2 year old loves it....she dies laughing every time!

Good luck!!!!!!!
BTW, just so you know everyday doens't have to be like an activity fest. If my kids are doing well playing on their own, then I'll skip it. When they get antsy, then out comes the construction paper!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. I will like more ideas. I u sed to work at a day care as an aide, but that was back in 1994. Any suggestions are welcome. I am trying to see if I can enroll in a free parenting class I can take with my kids to help me out.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a child my mother always said, "Wait 'till your daddy comes home." After we were in bed, my mother told Daddy everything we did wrong. We just lay in our beds, waiting for the inevitable. My father would finally get the strap and start up the steps, with my mother behind him, warning him that if he touched us, she would call the police. Well, I was afraid of my father as a result. However, looking back, I decided I would never do that to my husband. The important thing is to handle things on the spot. When it's over, it's over. I did spank for serious things, and used time out for most problems.

After my children became teens I taught in a day school for children with special needs, physical, social and emotional. Each child had an individual plan for behavior modification, which we followed. In general, we made sure the disruptive child had time out where he would get no attention from the others. If he/she got physical, one of us would take the child out to the hall to a corner and stand in front of him. If another teacher came by, we would have a normal conversation so the child knew his tantrum was doing no good. We always told the children that as soon as they wanted to return to class and cooperate, we'd be happy to take them back.

I wish I knew what I know now when my children were little. Of course, I was young, but I was following the advice of the experts. I still think a smack on the fingers is the fastest way to keep little fingers out of danger, but always on the spot--not later. Catch your child being good!! That's really important!