How to deworm and deflea ferals?

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
The 24 cats in my backyard are all doing fine, but I know that there has been ongoing flea and worm problems under the radar this whole time, and I think I should start doing something about it. 21 of the cats stay outside, and I have 6 litter boxes in the garage, 2 inside, and I plan on placing a large sandbox outside. I feed them 2x, around 7am and 10pm. I mix water with dry and wet food and then add some lysine powder and put into 10 double bowls.
IMG_6519.PNG

In this picture i fed them in the grass because there was no shade in my back porch. This is basically how i feed them daily. I isolate one cat because she knows she's special. I would like to deworm and deflea them, but I don't know how would i effectively do that. I saw this youtube channel called Lucky Ferals use an herbal tincture product called Parasite G and she would put a little bit of it in a treat and that was her way of deworming her ferals, only thing is that she has 5 ferals so it could be more easier to track which ones got that worm treatment. What products would you recommend to get rid of these parasites? I heard capstar is good for fleas but i don't know how i could safely give them those pills

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drontal works on both tapeworm and roundworm which are the most common infestations, it's a liquid medication so you can just mix it in with their food. You should be able to get it easily from your vet or local humane society and chewy sells it in tablet form.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Drontal works on both tapeworm and roundworm which are the most common infestations, it's a liquid medication so you can just mix it in with their food. You should be able to get it easily from your vet or local humane society and chewy sells it in tablet form.
do your cats vomit or anything like that after getting that medication?

thank you so much :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do your cats vomit or anything like that after getting that medication?

thank you so much :)
Diarrhea is a possibility so you'll need to be prepared for that if you use it to treat indoor Cats. Not so much vomiting though, at least not as a direct result of the medication, but Cats will vomit dead roundworms.

You'll need to do a followup treatment 2 weeks after the first dose to kill any that have hatched from eggs in the meantime, as it will not kill the eggs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can crush up Capstar and add it to food, I've done that. One dog-sized pill will treat up to 8 cats (6 if they're really big). The margin for safety is very very high, so even if one cat gets a bit more than usual it'll be ok. Of course, Capstar only works for 24 hours, but it can really knock the flea population back to give you time to do other things. Dusting the yard with diatomaceous earth also helps.

You can get a big bottle of generic pyrantel pamoate from a horse supply website without a prescription. I find it better to dose cats individually with that, if they're handleable, because they can tell it's in their food.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pyrantel is another option that's good for roundworm and hookworm, though it does not kill tapeworm. You might want to take a stool sample in to your vet to be checked because if one Cat in a colony has a type of worm then chances are good they all do.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
You can crush up Capstar and add it to food, I've done that. One dog-sized pill will treat up to 8 cats (6 if they're really big). The margin for safety is very very high, so even if one cat gets a bit more than usual it'll be ok. Of course, Capstar only works for 24 hours, but it can really knock the flea population back to give you time to do other things. Dusting the yard with diatomaceous earth also helps.

You can get a big bottle of generic pyrantel pamoate from a horse supply website without a prescription. I find it better to dose cats individually with that, if they're handleable, because they can tell it's in their food.
DOes the pyrantel pamoate treat fleas?

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Pyrantel is another option that's good for roundworm and hookworm, though it does not kill tapeworm. You might want to take a stool sample in to your vet to be checked because if one Cat in a colony has a type of worm then chances are good they all do.
yeah tapeworm is the main threat in my colony , possibly roundworm as well. What is the pyrantel product your use?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pyrantel is for roundworms and hookworms. Praziquantel is for tapeworms---you can get Bayer tapeworm tabs at most places, even Walmart. Unfortunately I haven't found any cheaper option for praziquantel; even the generic version costs about the same.

I think this is where I got the last bottle of pyrantel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QSE476/?tag=thecatsite

Last edited:

vizibara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah tapeworm is the main threat in my colony , possibly roundworm as well. What is the pyrantel product your use?
Question, the link on amazon shows the product for Pyrantel and the bottle says it only treats pinworms. Here several on the chat state it treats roundworms and hookworms and when I tried to figure out the difference on these worms this website has them as totally different Pinworms, Roundworms, Tapeworms: The Microscopic Invaders That Could Infect Your Kids.

So does Pyrantel ONLY treat pinworms ? thanks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question, the link on amazon shows the product for Pyrantel and the bottle says it only treats pinworms.
That's because it's sold for humans. But it's the same stuff vets and shelters use for animals. It treats hookworms and roundworms in animals; cats and dogs don't get pinworms.

And it doesn't kill tapeworms; you need praziquantel for that.