How to deter raccoons

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I totally copied this but it's worth a try,

"Save your screaming and purchase some inexpensive Epsom salts from a drugstore. Sprinkle them on and around your garbage cans and raccoons will stay away, but it's safe for your dog or cat!"

You might want to sprinkle some in your yard and around the cat food dishes.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the kittens... that's why I don't trust raccoons, though I like them in every other way when they are NOT posing a threat to cats.

And this is why I worry about Treasure all the time with these raccoons. This happened before his fight with Cooper yesterday. Honestly, Treasure does taunt. The raccoons took mild interest in Shaman last night but didn't bother with her.

Sorry the epsom salts don't work either. Tried that as well. Remember I"m dealing with my 2nd gaze, first one was 30 or more raccoons. NOTHING got rid of them.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
And this is why I worry about Treasure all the time with these raccoons. This happened before his fight with Cooper yesterday. Honestly, Treasure does taunt. The raccoons took mild interest in Shaman last night but didn't bother with her.

Sorry the epsom salts don't work either. Tried that as well. Remember I"m dealing with my 2nd gaze, first one was 30 or more raccoons. NOTHING got rid of them.

I'm going to give the Epsom salts a try- its an inexpensive and harmless treatment. And I only have two raccoons to deal with so it just might work. If not, I will see if wildlife or my vet can recomend something- like mace.

30+ raccoons in someone's yard is overwhelming- why not call wildlife rescue and see if they can trap them?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
They trapped and sadly had to euthanize that gaze due to zombie disease. But new ones are moving in. So you really do not get rid of them.

The only sure thing that petrifies the raccoons constantly is Sopdet. I'm not sure what it is about her, they aren't scared of Shadow but the mere sight of Sopdet sends the raccoons off in complete terror. Sopdet, my cat that makes raccoon noises and never makes a sound of a cat. It takes her great effort to even meow at me. She does chatter, snarl and growl like a raccoon though and walks through the gaze while they all take off running. I don't understand what it is about her.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never found predator urine to work either. Some people say that cheap perfume or body spray with deter them, ammonia soaked rags, but you have to consider that the poor cats would have to be close enough to that as to be bothered, or even deterred.

I believe all animals have a right to their life, but I personally never want to see another skunk or raccoon.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well right now the cats took off somewhere. Sopdet is pulling her usual disappearance. I don't worry about her as much. Anyway one raccoon is here and I have never seen such a nervous raccoon. He's actually looking at the door, looking at the cam, picking a bug to eat, rinse and repeat.
Smells do not work either. Ammonia does not eork. Neither does perfume. Tried that long before the cats came and the raccoons just walked past it

OMG: He's actually sleeping now on the cat tree. What?

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I swear I think I've heard it all....and then I hear something new! Epsom salts? I might try them - - extremely cheap and wouldn't do any harp aj (altho have a feeling these coons would do almost anything to get to our - - at this point "their" - - - super cozy, ripped-up, sleeping bag-filled garage attic!

G gleason - of course being cautious - - particularly with kittens around - - is the smart thing!!!! But generally (again - nothing's 100%) USUALLY skunks won't go after kittens - particularly if there's a momma or other adult cat around. They're pretty reticent to make noise and draw attention, and they'll usually move on quickly as they're usually scouting around at a quick clip to get to as many grubs, etc as possible to get in a night.

If you are having problems with skunks, raccoons, etc. - - -I'd call a local wildlife rehabilitator if you have one. They're VERY knowledgeable, and most are very happy to answer wildlife questions. Just google "wildlife rehabitation" and your town/area, and you should be able to locate at least one who you could speak with.

And MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I'm so sorry to see that trail cam footage of your Treasure and the raccoon. Obviously I'm just seeing things from one side etc., but it seems as though the raccoon has searched that area before! Do you feed treasure anywhere near the chair that's there? The raccoon seems to be searching for something specific other then the cat.....crumbs...something. Are treats ever given to Treasure (or anyone) in that area? The coon seemed to be really looking through the blanket and through that area. Might be worth doing a little detective work!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And meant to note: you are right to be concerned about the kittens and coons together. Luckily sounds like all parties have full bellies - and since hunger is often what drives a raccoon to go after small kittens, hopefully all will end well. If you can keep the coons out - that'd be best. I know this is a big "ask" - - but can mom and kittens come inside while the kittens are still relatively small? Even if mom goes back outside once they're weaned, if they're inside (and since they sound still relatively young - perhaps you can socialize them during that period and find them homes! Just a thought).

Side note: MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf - if you run across that man who was hand-feeding raccoons - - that's VERY concerning! The level of rabies is high in raccoons, and often they show little or no symptoms until rabies has truly set in. It's dangerous to feed them - - - and to hand feed them is truly not safe!

I have heard several people suggest this link to me - - I haven't read much on this site, so I can't say that I endorse it really until I read it. But when the few TNR'd ferals from our colony moved in almost full-time into the garage - - I began to seriously worry about having them in there while raccoons were up in that attic. And someone suggested I check this out. So I'm passing along the "check this out" part - but haven't done the reading part! Let men now if anything helps!

How to Get Rid of Raccoons in the Attic, Roof, Ceiling, House, Yard, Garbage

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not feeding the cats down there where the rug is. If you notice Treasure was basically taunting the raccoon which he does every night. I think the raccoon saw a cockroach (yes they eat cockroaches) and was going for that. The raccoons were coming here doing this long before the cats were here. And nothing has helped to get rid of them. Loud sounds, smells, lights nothing. It may run them off for an hour but the they come back and ignore anything. They're worse than the Borg from Star Trek. And I'm slowly learning to dislike them no matter what after all the property damage they caused us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked up the food about 8 last nite and left the garage light on all nite. Just looked at pics and there were no visitors. No skunk, no raccoon. Yeah!!!!!! I just feel bad not having food out for the kitties. I live in northern Wisconsin and winter is coming. Soon those unwanted critters will be denning up and then I won't have to be concerned about them so much.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep.. you don't even get that at sea level at Antarctica.
Well I wouldn't know either way ya..lol..Im in Reidsville North Carolina...Thats why I aint commented..That does sound pretty cold dont it...:rolleyes:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear I think I've heard it all....and then I hear something new! Epsom salts? I might try them - - extremely cheap and wouldn't do any harp aj (altho have a feeling these coons would do almost anything to get to our - - at this point "their" - - - super cozy, ripped-up, sleeping bag-filled garage attic!

G gleason - of course being cautious - - particularly with kittens around - - is the smart thing!!!! But generally (again - nothing's 100%) USUALLY skunks won't go after kittens - particularly if there's a momma or other adult cat around. They're pretty reticent to make noise and draw attention, and they'll usually move on quickly as they're usually scouting around at a quick clip to get to as many grubs, etc as possible to get in a night.

If you are having problems with skunks, raccoons, etc. - - -I'd call a local wildlife rehabilitator if you have one. They're VERY knowledgeable, and most are very happy to answer wildlife questions. Just google "wildlife rehabitation" and your town/area, and you should be able to locate at least one who you could speak with.

And MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I'm so sorry to see that trail cam footage of your Treasure and the raccoon. Obviously I'm just seeing things from one side etc., but it seems as though the raccoon has searched that area before! Do you feed treasure anywhere near the chair that's there? The raccoon seems to be searching for something specific other then the cat.....crumbs...something. Are treats ever given to Treasure (or anyone) in that area? The coon seemed to be really looking through the blanket and through that area. Might be worth doing a little detective work!

Any ideas how I can partition that off at night so only the cats can run down there? I was thinking also of the winter months. I have seen the raccoons jump so a high fence doesn't work with them.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had nothing but bad experiences with Raccoons, they can be very vicious if they decide that's what they want to do and they absolutely can and will kill other animals, including Cats and small Dogs.

My neighbors had constant problems with Raccoons killing their Chickens and the only thing that worked was killing the Raccoons. Trapping and relocating didn't work, they found their way back and resumed killing Chickens so he would sit on his porch with a .22 late at night and shoot them when they showed up at his Chicken coop.

Sometimes there is no good solution.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep and you get rid of one gaze and another moves in. The first gaze I had (30 plus) had to be euthanized due to zombie disease. They weren't even gone a week when a new gaze (obviously) moved in. Sadly I"m in the suburbs and would be spending life in prison if I sat outside shooting raccoons, although lately from all the damage they caused i"m tempted.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep and you get rid of one gaze and another moves in. The first gaze I had (30 plus) had to be euthanized due to zombie disease. They weren't even gone a week when a new gaze (obviously) moved in. Sadly I"m in the suburbs and would be spending life in prison if I sat outside shooting raccoons, although lately from all the damage they caused i"m tempted.
Suburbs is the worst place to live when dealing with destructive or dangerous wild animals. Animal Control usually won't help unless they get constant complaints from multiple people, and the Police won't help because it's not their job and then tell you that it's illegal to do anything about the situation yourself.

Your only option may be livetrapping, then taking them elsewhere to deal with them.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Your only option may be livetrapping, then taking them elsewhere to deal with them.
That would be a death sentence for the raccoons.

Trapping Raccoons - Toronto Wildlife Centre

You just have to accept that we share the planet with other life forms. If the cats are outdoors the best we can do for them is make sure they are TNR'd, vaccinated, fed and provided with shelter.

Raccoons can live peacefully alongside cats as long as they are not in competition for resources. The only way to make sure cats don't come into conflict with other animals is to bring them indoors or keep them in an enclosure, and even that may not be 100% safe.