How to deter neighbour cats/remove their markings from my garden?

stgeorgescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have four indoor cats with a large catio that they have free access too.We have just moved but at our previous house, a neighbour cat tormented ours through the catio and caused rifts between my cats which eventually resulted in one of mine bullying another and him starting to spray (he was checked by vets multiple times, no health issues). Nothing deterred this cat and we tried our best to manage it.

We have just moved and half the reason I wanted to move was to resolve this issue. We moved on Monday, five days of pure bliss, boy was confident and happy, no bullying and no spraying. The two problem cats have even slept together. Yesterday I found a neighbour cat on the shed outside the catio, staring in, and it has already started setting off my boy spraying again. I’m absolutely devastated, he was so happy only to have this happen again!

We threw water at the cat but I need some solutions that don’t require us to supervise 24/7. I have ordered a motion detector spray but I feel we need extra protection..

Alongside this, how on earth can I clean my garden to get rid of the cat smell? When I noticed the cat yesterday, he wasn’t in the catio so didn’t see him and they have not been out since until I supervised them this morning, so it must be the smell of the other cat that has set him off :frown:

Apologies for the long post but the context was needed!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For areas such as the shed, you can try additional detractors like chicken wire on the roof - and any other areas that the motion sprinklers aren't as applicable. Most cats do not like to walk on the wire - it doesn't hurt them, they just find it unappealing.

It may or may not help, but trying to determine if this cat belongs to anyone in the neighborhood would be another step to take, just to find out the dynamics. It is possible the owner has no idea this cat is venturing onto other neighbors' properties - maybe they are taking little trips out of their own yard (loose fence board that they come and go from) without the neighbor being aware. I have a neighbor who basically keeps their cat in the backyard - it has ventured out a a few occasions through fence boards that had come loose. Or, this could end up being a stray that you could have picked up by any local no-kill shelter/rescue center for vetting and possible adoption.

Lastly, depending on your catio set up, adding plexi-glass to the lower half of the catio would keep the cat from being able to get too close to your cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy a product called Get Off Cat Repellent or a cheaper option is to buy an essential oil( one costing very little as below) in a citrus as cats don't like the smell, dilute in water and spray on the areas needed. I have had some success placing lemonade or the like part filled with water and put in the areas the wandering cat used.
Essential Oil of Lavender 1/2 oz (15 ml) | Buy Lavender Oil | Piping Rock Health Products
Do be aware that lavender oil is toxic to cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only used that as an example product but mentioned the use of citrus. Good point though tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , so many things are toxic to cats, always best to check.
Cats hate the smell of citrus! But as to truly toxic essences, the list can be found by googling (or binging);)
As for removing accidents, I rely on Nature's Miracle--Just For Cats. It is an enzymatic cleaner that truly removes the smell because it breaks down the enzymes that cause it, leaving the area truly clean. You can get it online or at "pet" supply venues, online and physical.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a somewhat similar problem so I cut up lemon peels & orange peels and placed them in the area where they were digging. I also put all coffee grounds and tea bag grounds in the area. Voila! Problem solved. Hope it works for you. We'll keep our paws crossed! 🌺
':silver:🌻

Jaginthebox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have four indoor cats with a large catio that they have free access too.We have just moved but at our previous house, a neighbour cat tormented ours through the catio and caused rifts between my cats which eventually resulted in one of mine bullying another and him starting to spray (he was checked by vets multiple times, no health issues). Nothing deterred this cat and we tried our best to manage it.

We have just moved and half the reason I wanted to move was to resolve this issue. We moved on Monday, five days of pure bliss, boy was confident and happy, no bullying and no spraying. The two problem cats have even slept together. Yesterday I found a neighbour cat on the shed outside the catio, staring in, and it has already started setting off my boy spraying again. I’m absolutely devastated, he was so happy only to have this happen again!

We threw water at the cat but I need some solutions that don’t require us to supervise 24/7. I have ordered a motion detector spray but I feel we need extra protection..

Alongside this, how on earth can I clean my garden to get rid of the cat smell? When I noticed the cat yesterday, he wasn’t in the catio so didn’t see him and they have not been out since until I supervised them this morning, so it must be the smell of the other cat that has set him off :frown:

Apologies for the long post but the context was needed!
I so feel your frustration...I have 3 indoor cats and a neighbors cat created turmoil in my house with reverse aggression against one of my cats for YEARS....I literally had to keep them separated during day when I would be at work...and at night to alleviate the fighting between the 2...all because my neighbor wanted her cats to roam free. My cats are finally all getting along...I think mainly because the "bully" is now 15...and probably doesn't have the energy to keep things up with his sibling. Good luck to you!!! : )

Crazyfostercats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the male cat is neutered he won't spray and he won't fight or bother the other cats. We had a stray cat dumped in our yard and he was fighting with our cats and spraying everywhere after getting him TNRd he became best friends with everyone and stoped spraying. TNR also helps control the cat population! I definitely recommend getting him neutered :)

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a forbidden room (for my cat). I use aluminum foil~she seems to hate the sound of it and will not walk on it. Depending on how much area you have to cover, this may not be a helpful solution. But also there is another thing that cats hate to walk on. It is simple chicken wire. If all else fails, you could try that. 🌺 :silver:🌻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another solution that's easier is that carpet runner stuff -- it's very thick clear plastic that has little "teeth" that won't hurt anyone but will probably deter cats from walking on it.