How to describe my cat?

Becca0833

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I got this kitten recently (unsure of gender, this is my first kitten and my first pet cat since I was little). I’m not sure how to describe the coat. Any ideas? The back is like solid dark grey

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Becca0833

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also do you think it will have long hair?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a tortie of some sort. Thus, almost surely a girl. There are very few male torties.
She is bluish, not blackish, thus, she is a diluted tortie.
She has also some white.

She seems also to be a tabby! This typical M on the forebrow is very clear. As her backside is solid blue (dark grey) it should be a ticked tabby patternwise. Not unique, but not the most common.
Tabby and tortie are commonly called for torbie.

Thus: diluted ticked torbie with white,

If she is kitten fuzzy shorthair, or will be a longhair, its too early to be sure... Its not uncommon kittens gives us some surprises!
It may become easy to talk about changelings... :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She appears to me to have a classic tabby pattern rather than ticked. It is frequently difficult to see classic tabby markings on the back of a kitten when they are young, before the pattern develops fully, but you can see the bullseye pattern pretty clearly in the second picture:

BCA7C7AF-DA1D-4E07-93D4-4A06A096C467.jpeg

I am also not sure if she has any white markings... in these photos, the light areas look to me to be part of the tabby pattern. My guess would be that she doesn't have white, but it's possible that white markings will become more apparent as she gets older.

So I would describe her color as blue classic torbie... and possibly just blue classic tabby... I'm not completely sure that there are actually any torbie patches (the cream areas might just be part of the tabby pattern, I'd like to see her coat develop a little more).

How old is she, and where did you get her? She appears to be very young. Her eye looks a bit watery, and hair on the belly looks a little sparse in this photo, so I wonder if a vet has seen her already?

She is a lovely kitten, and she will be a gorgeous cat when she grows up :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Becca0833

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have another post on here about her health. She has seen a vet and is on Clavamox, Albon and terimycin for her eyes. She came to me younger than she should have but the person who had her told me that the mother was dead and she was going to take the litter to the shelter. I took this one and have been doing everything I can to turn it around. I am starting to think it’s possibly a boy as well. She or he is much improved from when we picked her up from a local woman

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, I'm glad your kitten is already under the care of a vet. I looked at your other thread, it sounds like you are doing a great job keeping on top of things and taking care of this kitten!

From the pictures in your other thread, the kitten looks more like a male to me, in which case it's likely that the cream areas are just part of the tabby pattern, and your kitten would be blue classic tabby in color.