How to Decorate a Cat Door?

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a whole post typed up, but it was getting bogged down in the details and I was rambling, so. Long story short, electronic pet doors are ugly, how can I change that? I really like the look of cat doors like this or this, but all of the microchip controlled doors appear to come only in "ugly white square" chic.

Alternately, a way to DIY a microchip control system onto another cat door?

(Doors would be for interior use only.)

I've seen some nice ones on Pinterest, but never anything with a link to buy something or with DIY instructions.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simply add a really pretty frame around it. Or possibly paint something around the perimeter of the door, I'm sure you can get many different stencils on-line. You could glue beautiful glass or ceramic backsplash tiles around it in a nice mosaic.
The only thing I would caution is, however you decorate it, be sure there isn't anything that can snag the collar where they can get stuck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I found those. The people who made them are much better at art and DIY than I am. :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not too good with art either, but the last one, with the pink roof, doesn't loo too difficult.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What about using stickers? That way if you get tired of them and want a change it's an easy fix.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you look on Etsy? Leave the creativity to someone else. :lol:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a whole post typed up, but it was getting bogged down in the details and I was rambling, so. Long story short, electronic pet doors are ugly, how can I change that? I really like the look of cat doors like this or this, but all of the microchip controlled doors appear to come only in "ugly white square" chic.

Alternately, a way to DIY a microchip control system onto another cat door?

(Doors would be for interior use only.)

I've seen some nice ones on Pinterest, but never anything with a link to buy something or with DIY instructions.
I would try decals around it which can be removed. The pet chip doors are problematic. Are used one that had to have a collar on Merlin to only let him in to use his litter box in the studio and it didn’t work so I sent it back. The main thing for us is will Quinn and Merlin use it, they hate the one on my bedroom and love the bigger ones I have into the garage and into the studio. I have to replace the bedroom one with one of them because that on never works properly and the flap always falls off, its los a bit small for Merlin.