How To Deal With A Stray Cat, I.e. Adopt Him?

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

A handsome cat has been hanging around my home on and off for a few months. I've taken to feeding him, and now he comes for a few days in a row before disappearing again for a couple of days. Some days he comes twice per day.

At first I thought he was someone else's cat, but we put a collar on him with our number and please call and no one rang us.

I cannot tell if he is a stray or feral. He sits by the back door or on the window sill and growls at our other cats, but he also stands his ground. When I open the door now, he wants to come inside. But, he's scared and skittish too. He pupils are enormous most of the time! Yet, he rubs up against my leg when I go outside to feed him. He lets me pet his head, though not for very long. He's sensitive to every noise or sudden movement and often takes breaks when eating to check out his surroundings (on the back patio). I've managed to lure him inside a few times by feeding him bits of cheese. He comes in a few feet and then leaves.

I would like to get a check up for him, but I've had to cancel the appointment because I couldn't catch him in time. I'm also terrified he'll scratch me when I try to get him in a carrier.

I think he's adopted us in some ways, and he comes when we call his name (we made one up!) and his trust in us seems to be growing as evidenced by his increased presence. But, how does it work? Should I keep letting him warm up to us, or do my best to capture him so I can get him a check-up as soon as possible? With the other pets in the house, I cannot let him in without his shots, and I can't imagine keeping him in a crate for 2-3 days until the clinic can see him (they only operate 2x per week.) If I work on building the trust, what is a reasonable amount of time to expect that he'll be house ready?

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is definitely not feral. Most likely a stray that someone dumped or left behind. He may be a bit skittish since he has had to live outside for awhile and has learned to not always trust humans.

You can start by feeding him in the carrier to get him used to it. Be sure the door stays wide open. I would suggest trying to sit close to the carrier while he is eating so you can easily close the door on the day of the appointment. Sometimes you have to start by feeding right outside the carrier and moving it back a bit each day until he is eating all the way inside.

A humane trap is another way to get him. It might be your safest bet since you are unsure how he might react to you.

When you get him vetted be sure to have him neutered if he is not already.
Thank you for caring for him. If you plan to bring him inside after the vet appointment be sure he will have a room of his own to acclimate. Be sure the room is cat proofed so he cannot hide under a bed or other large furniture. Those hiding spots are almost impossible to get a cat out from. I like to put the bed flat on the floor or just remove it and place it up against a wall. Also it takes time and patience for cats to adapt to one another. You don't want any fights breaking out. Take it slow and steady.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

A handsome cat has been hanging around my home on and off for a few months. I've taken to feeding him, and now he comes for a few days in a row before disappearing again for a couple of days. Some days he comes twice per day.

I would like to get a check up for him, but I've had to cancel the appointment because I couldn't catch him in time. I'm also terrified he'll scratch me when I try to get him in a carrier.

But, how does it work? Should I keep letting him warm up to us, or do my best to capture him so I can get him a check-up as soon as possible? With the other pets in the house, I cannot let him in without his shots, and I can't imagine keeping him in a crate for 2-3 days until the clinic can see him (they only operate 2x per week.) If I work on building the trust, what is a reasonable amount of time to expect that he'll be house ready?

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!
Hi Downton Ali.

Welcome to TCS. Looks like you've got yourself a new fan. A handsome one too huh? Being that you were able to collar him says a lot there. Please let it be with a break-a-way yes? Read a few stories here of non-breakaways just the other day that really scared me on this.

Just a suggestion, you could test the boundaries so to say, to see how manageable he may be, by petting him with the goal to see if he will allow you to pick him up. I have encountered two such strays, the first sat on my lap (most of the time) to the vet for a chip scan). The other allowed me to lower him through the top of a carrier for a vet visit. This one now won't go near a carrier and vanishes at the sight of one, as does a TNR I've fed for the past two yea

Anyway, from what you have said, you should have little trouble getting him to enter a carrier on his own seeking food. Ensure that the carrier has been cleaned with plenty of fresh water to remove any residual cat scents. Gradually acclimate him to it, closer and closer, incrementally moving the food just inside the opening, then further into the back of the carrier. Leave the top door open if it has one...probably tie or bungee it open so the door doesn't swing down accidentally and terrify him. Get him comfortable with this and on a schedule and this should work out fine.

If you cannot get him comfortable with eating inside the carrier on a regular basis so as to time it prior to your appointment, then one alternative is to use a live trap with a pair of forks available. Hopefully you can borrow or rent the setup from a shelter or TNR organization. With this, you could contain and easily care for him a day prior to the appointment. Should the vet find him a little on the edge or just not able to handle him, they can easily sedate him through the side of the trap.

Feed him regularly each day and he will remember this schedule and keep it with great accuracy just like your other kitties.

As for adopting him...you, your family and your other kitties will have to decide. Your cats will have the final approval since they own the home turf. TCS already has a huge encyclopedia of knowledge on this.

As for your fear of getting scratched? In my experience, adrenaline takes the edge off at the moment this happens (the amazing human body). Just go easy with how you touch or handle him and try to avoid the areas where he feels most vulnerable until you know that he is comfortable with being touched there. Closely observe his physical actions as they are tell-tell giveaway signs. Test him in the non-threatening areas first, which are usually the areas he has clear sight of. Always ensure he sees your hands first before you touch him. Reward him verbally and with a treat for every good response to being touched.

Let him continue to warm-up or just capture him?

Your call here. Weigh the need and the urgency (cat fights, making babies, vehicle traffic, mean people, birds of prey, possibly chipped/lost ). Get him into the carrier or trapped the first time, as they learn fast and remember well. The second time will not be easy (unless he is comfortable with carriers and road trips).

If you need to keep him crated or contained for up to two days, I would highly recommend the live trap simply for its ease of maintenance while you're waiting, as you won't have to remove him or chance his escaping into your home.

You may find he is comfortable being handled or picked up and put in a carrier. If so you will only need to contain him in a small room with water, food and a litter box until the vet visit. Use a barrier, anything about the size of a small portable ironing board to block your entry and exit from the room if needed so he doesn't escape and run into the resident team.

Reasonably time to be house ready?

Ultimate end or success of this means getting Mr. Handsome and your cats all introduced to the point where you're not having vet visits. This will depend upon your home turf cats and (from my personal experience) you. Your knowledge of this, your skills with implementing, and your diligence are crucial. The final say rest with your home turf cats. Once they can have their meals close together with a barrier in between without a huge fuss, then you've almost pulled it off. Home plate is just ahead. The length of time varies greatly. I suggest that you plan for the long haul. Don't beat yourself up if it fails. Try and try again.

Have fun with it all. Best of success to you, your cats and Mr. Handsome