how to deal with a serial killer cat

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Extending off your porch sounds like an awesome idea. I have a catio that leads to a shed for my ferals. I go to bed every night knowing they are safe, fed and warm.
Your neighbours will appreciate it and your cat will adjust. Cats are really a lot more resilient than given credit for.

JaneLuvsCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK you have irate neighbors, deadly owls, dogs, cars, other cats & god knows what else; eventually one will get her! So build an enclosure, add a purfect fence topper or harness train her so you are out there with her.

Hunting is a learned skill. I have a bottle baby that at a year old has caught 2 lizard tails and some flies. His siblings have caught some finches but given that my mom has many multiple feeders, at least 40 finches year round & bushes for hiding right next to a low hanging feeder ...., those cats basically have a bird blind. So she must have learned how to hunt bunnies from another kitty (& a bunny could injure her!)

My mom’s reformed feral cost $200 to get a post to put his ear flaps back together after he got an abscess in it & scratched it open. (He got bit in the ear by another cat.) Just a bit ago, Nick lost over half his tail by climbing into an adjoining tree to our neighbors yard .... where their husky tried to pull him out of the tree by his tail (& degloved 1/3 of it!) That was a thousand dollars! My point is your mighty huntress can live a very long happy life hunting critters in your yard, if you build a catio or the fence toppers for cats. Here are pictures of Jackie having a blast in his harness and 26 ft leash (he loves to loop around things) & a pictures of Nick with his new tail before & after his fur grew back.

*come winter does she really want out that much?

View attachment 310687
View attachment 310693View attachment 310685
Where did you get the Cat Jacket/Harness? Is it adjustable?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hey just asking but ive built 1st class sheds off blueprints for $150 that sell for $2000+ is it better to build a seperate catio or extend 1 off my porch?
If you want the cats to have an easy way to access the catio, building an extension off of/from your porch would be a better option. You can include a cat flap/door from the house to the catio, or even affix a similar opening from a window onto the porch.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey just asking but ive built 1st class sheds off blueprints for $150 that sell for $2000+ is it better to build a seperate catio or extend 1 off my porch?
Attached to house or porch is better (if that is an option). Taking a cat out to a separate enclosure and then going to get them, gets to a pain pretty quickly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Attached to house or porch is better (if that is an option). Taking a cat out to a separate enclosure and then going to get them, gets to a pain pretty quickly
whenever i call Taz she comes a running, i'm like her father to her in how she treats me & i treat love her like my baby girl.
that said she likes to do things on her time so yeah its going to be an extension but she has 2 cat friends that wait for her to run around with, how can i deal with that keeping her happy?
just worried the catio will make her feel imprisoned eh

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im gonna use a nylon mesh for the walls so she can break out if i die on her eh

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
im gonna use a nylon mesh for the walls so she can break out if i die on her eh

The whole purpose is to keep that cat in. You can always alert a friend, neighbor, or a family member, to the fact that you have a cat so that if anything were to happen to you they could come and get her.

Every day it seems that I am defending cats on social media from people who claim that cats are taking out the wildlife in alarming numbers and I now I have read about a cat (your cat) who seems to fit that bill and not only are you not doing anything about it, you seem to be proud of it.

As far as a dog and cat match go- somebody will get hurt and somebody will be put down- do you really want to go down that road? Please, for her sake, keep her in before somebody decides that she has taken out enough of their pet rabbits and does something horrible to her.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that is good about building a catio is that your neighbors will see that you are taking steps to address the perceived problem.

If you build an outdoor enclosure to keep your cat in, people cant say that you are just letting her run amok.

Yes, I would build a catio as an extension off the back porch.
If I lived in a place where I could build one that is how I would do it.