How to contain my cats on the second floor during renovation

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We'll be moving with our cat Loki and Pen Pen in two months into our new home. Due to all kinds of delays, we couldn't finish all the renovation before moving in. I'm very stressed because the renovation sites might be unsafe for them and cause problems.

By the time we move, the second floor should be finished. It has three small rooms and a bathroom. The easiest way is to contain the cats in one room, but I feel bad for them since none of the rooms are big and they might get bored. The only bigger-ish room does not have a door and I might not be able to install one on time. I want to let the cats access to the whole second floor, but it has a hall way with railings and stairs that are open. I wonder if there's anything I can do to block them off, but also possible for us to walk to 1st floor when we need to. I saw most indoor fences online are super short. My cats are super active and they can jump as tall as 4 ft (the height most indoor fences are).

Any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - there might be something in the material used in this article--scroll down to the Visual Desensitization section for a doorway block for the bigger room. I don't know that I'd try to give them the whole second floor.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, what about building your own DIY blockade, using some wire shelving that you attach with zip ties and eye hooks.
(You can also use 'door hinges' but probably need to use more of them, for sturdiness.)
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools
(This way, you can make it as wide, or as tall, as you like. Just remember to secure it strongly to either: existing wood, or whatever you have under the drywall, or even flat wooden boards that can be removed afterwards.)

If you have any 'Habitat for Humanity' stores near you, Restores, or any type of shops that sell 'used screen or storm doors' ...then you may be able to find a door with the right dimensions, that is not as expensive.

Some Diy online ideas of building your own screen doors might work well, too.
diy wooden screen door - Google Search

Finally, using fish nets, cargo netting, or garden netting... might be useful, to protect the cats from the stairs...or to create a 'temporary barrier'....again with 'zip ties' and 'eye hooks'....in your hallway section.
It really depends on what your hallway section looks like, and how easy it would be to drape.
Not sure if you can use velcro tape, or need something stronger, like 'latch eye hooks', snap hooks, carabiners to keep something like netting closed, and easily opened for walk throughs.
https://www.amazon.com/Netting-Trailer-Balcony-Banister-Protection/dp/B08P5QF51D
Amazon.com : Garden Netting
Indoor Outdoor Safety Net, Child Pets Protection Net, Nylon Rope Fence Net for Garden Patios Playgrounds, Decorative Mesh Balcony Stair Protective Netting (Size : 1x3m(3x10ft)): Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TPM1HTZ/?tag=thecatsite

If you're into DIY, then you could also 'make your own type of cargo or fish net'.
There are many youtube videos online, describing how to do this with various ropes, strings and fabric.
It looks like it would take ages, but it might be a fun project, while watching tv or something.

I know that renovations can have all sorts of delays, but if your cats have a room with a view...with some interesting things to look at, and all sorts of toys, different levels, cat shelves, and boxes, cat caves to sleep in, obstacle courses,...they should be fine.
You'd be living there, too, and seeing them everyday...and spending time with them, playing with them...so they should be okay.
Hope your renos go well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, what about building your own DIY blockade, using some wire shelving that you attach with zip ties and eye hooks.
(You can also use 'door hinges' but probably need to use more of them, for sturdiness.)
How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools
(This way, you can make it as wide, or as tall, as you like. Just remember to secure it strongly to either: existing wood, or whatever you have under the drywall, or even flat wooden boards that can be removed afterwards.)

If you have any 'Habitat for Humanity' stores near you, Restores, or any type of shops that sell 'used screen or storm doors' ...then you may be able to find a door with the right dimensions, that is not as expensive.
Thank you so much for sharing the article and resources! I think my best bet is to take the DIY route and block the cats in the biggest room with a screen door / fence. I can set up their cat tree with all their toys. And I will put my desk there and work during the day, to keep them company. That room has a window that faces my backyard. I'm also going to look into bird feeders that can hang outside of that window.

The fish net method sounds interesting too. I wonder if I can set it up to block the stairs and hallway area.

I'll start looking into other options if the renovation drags too long. But if it finishes in a week or two, it should be fine to temporarily keep them in one room.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise