How to clean stove vent filters: Easy!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd clean a few things. Tonight I tackled the stove vent filters, and they look much better! Thought I'd share since it's so incrediblyl easy, and most people forget to clean them. (I was adding a command hook to a lower cabinet when I looked up and saw how gross our vent filters looked!) I found a tutorial on Pinterest (actually, quite a few!) so I thought I would test this method out. Happy to say that it worked very well!

What you need: Large stock pot, 1/2 cup of baking soda, & water. Bring everything to a boil, then add in the filters. Let them boil for 10 minutes, and then remove from the pot with a pair of tongs. Rinse filters under a stream of hot water to remove any leftover residue. Stand them up to dry so the air circulates well around them and they don't rust. Once they're completely dry, add them back to your stove hood.

Voila, clean filters and no nasty chemical cleaners required! ;)

Before: so gross!

Adding filters to water/baking soda mixture

It's working!

Rinse them off well with hot water to remove the remaining residue.

After rinsing. (If there's any residue left over, you could use a gentle sponge and dish soap to gently scrub the rest off, and rinse again.)

Let them air dry completely.

Be happy this grime is no longer on your filters! Yuck!

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow! You come up with the neatest ideas! Thanks!

I use baking soda with boiling water to freshen our combs and brushes. I remove the hair from the brushes (I'm shedding terribly again). I clean them with shampoo first in warm water. Then once I have the water boiling, I sprinkle baking soda directly on the combs and brushes in the bathroom sink. Then I add the boiling water to cover and let them soak for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse them off well and dry them. Repeat weekly....I usually do them on Sunday mornings.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need to try this.  I tried putting mine into the dishwasher and they got totally discolored.  Bought a new set.  Now they too need a cleaning.  It seems so ridiculously simple but I've heard baking soda works for stuff like that.

BTW, how did you dispose of that gross water?  I'd imagine putting it down the kitchen sink isn't a great idea either.

Last edited: