How To Catch A Kitten

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i been feeding 2 stray cats for the past year i noticed the girl cat was big for a few months i expected her to have kittens but she never did so thought she had worms well she lost some weight bout a month ago and today i walked outside and saw a baby black kitten on my porch no older than 6 weeks and it ran under my house right away

i wana catch him and bring him inside cause there are many dangerous animals at night that come around here any ideas?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi matt1991 matt1991 , about the momma cat, you sure that she wasn’t pregnant and maybe she could have given birth to kittens elsewhere?

As for the black kitten, can you borrow a humane trap to trap it? Since it’s skittish, it’s pretty hard to catch it and it may take awhile to warm up to you.

Unless you have the time and leave food near your door and feed it each time nearer and nearer into the house and that is if the kitten is not afraid of you anymore. Else, the humane trap would be faster to get the job done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i just found them there are 3 i managed to get 1 inside the cutest thing so innocent i started to pet it and it started to suck my finger right away lol

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So the momma cat did give birth! But since they are so young, they still need the mother's milk and guidance and they should not leave their mother till they are at least 12 weeks old so that they are properly weaned off and it'll be easier for them to be socialized after that.

So they are still suckling and best is for mother cat to look after them else you have to bottle feed them with the right kind of milk replacement that is close to their mothers milk. Best is to get goat's milk or get the brand KMR replacement milk either in powdered or liquid form.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
id say they are lil over 4 weeks they can run pretty quick one keeps biting the other so i got some bread and soaked it with some milk to give it easier texture for him to eat since he wouldnt eat the dry cat food he destroyed it to say the least lol prob isnt the healthiest thing but it got him to stop biting his brothers face

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Cats are lactose intolerant. What kind of milk are you giving them? They cannot take cow's milk and I'm not too sure about the bread.

Can you get canned wet food for them? They be are able to eat solid by now.

But where's the mother? Is she still around and is she still nursing them? If you can, catch the momma cat and have her spayed so that she don't get pregnant again and have unwanted kittens and also getting pregnant is no good for her health.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are lactose intolerant. What kind of milk are you giving them? They cannot take cow's milk and I'm not too sure about the bread.

Can you get canned wet food for them? They be are able to eat solid by now.

But where's the mother? Is she still around and is she still nursing them? If you can, catch the momma cat and have her spayed so that she don't get pregnant again and have unwanted kittens and also getting pregnant is no good for her health.

i ordered some food on amazon atm car is in shop so all i have is dry food they wont eat it so gave them tiny bit to get them something in there belly i bring them out once a day to see mom they seem to like inside more than out

one of them is really mean though the other 2 were attached to me within 10 minutes i got the little black one last and he runs as fast as he can to avoid me at all cost lol hoping after tonight once he sleeps inside he will get use to humans they are fulll of fleas though so gonna have to fix that

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It takes lots of love, patience and routine. Don’t give up and hope that you’ll settle their fleas problem fast and hopefully get the momma cat spayed.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It takes lots of love, patience and routine. Don’t give up and hope that you’ll settle their fleas problem fast and hopefully get the momma cat spayed.

yeah it cost around 100 something tog et her fixed i dont have that type of money to bloe and i wont be living here much longer she will let me pet her but i cant pick her up she was a stray who got use to me for feeding her she s sweet with me as far as petting but i cant grab her

today if ed the kittens cous cous with hamburger fat i save to give it a meaty flavor they loved it

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
also another question how much does it cost to ship a kitten by mail probably? my friend wants to adopt one of them and im curious how much it would cost i know people buy pets online by mail all the time but not sure how much

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I am aware there are only three ways to ship a live animal.

1) Overnight shipping through UPS or another shipping service. It does have dangers since they are treated like a package. Usually used by reptile or bugs. I do not advise this for a cat or dog in any way or situation and don’t think they are allowed.

2) Some airlines will allow animals to fly without a human. You’d have to take it to an airport and your friend meet it at an airport. It wouldn’t be much different then what happens if you fly with your animal in cargo. I am overly cautious and have heard too many bad outcomes with animals with cargo. Since the kitten is young the trip may be too much combined with the temperature and conditions. Survival would not be guaranteed.

3) Fly with the kitten with you in the cabin to visit your friend OR your friend flies out and brings the kitten home in the cabin OR road trip time. This is the safest way to ensure the kitten makes it safely home without any lasting harm.

Honestly, I think it would be best to find a home locally or a no kill rescue group with space. Unless someone is planning on visiting the other in the near future.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far as I am aware there are only three ways to ship a live animal.

1) Overnight shipping through UPS or another shipping service. It does have dangers since they are treated like a package. Usually used by reptile or bugs. I do not advise this for a cat or dog in any way or situation and don’t think they are allowed.

2) Some airlines will allow animals to fly without a human. You’d have to take it to an airport and your friend meet it at an airport. It wouldn’t be much different then what happens if you fly with your animal in cargo. I am overly cautious and have heard too many bad outcomes with animals with cargo. Since the kitten is young the trip may be too much combined with the temperature and conditions. Survival would not be guaranteed.

3) Fly with the kitten with you in the cabin to visit your friend OR your friend flies out and brings the kitten home in the cabin OR road trip time. This is the safest way to ensure the kitten makes it safely home without any lasting harm.

Honestly, I think it would be best to find a home locally or a no kill rescue group with space. Unless someone is planning on visiting the other in the near future.
yeah we were gonna do it if it wouldnt cost more than 50 i know to over night ship something cost normally 20 to 30 dollars im not gonna be able to take him to airport thats an hour drive man sad that in my area people have enough animals and dont care for cats it seems hope i can find a home for them i just cant take them with me when i leave :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
yeah we were gonna do it if it wouldnt cost more than 50 i know to over night ship something cost normally 20 to 30 dollars im not gonna be able to take him to airport thats an hour drive man sad that in my area people have enough animals and dont care for cats it seems hope i can find a home for them i just cant take them with me when i leave :(
I don't think you will find an option to transport under $50. I just double checked and UPS doesn't allow mammals nor does FedEx.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know where you are but where I live it is also hard to find homes for kitties. I have managed to get it done by going online to find rescue groups. They are out there but it takes some looking. I also had luck by asking every single person I ran into. The post man, the police, the cashier at the stores and gas stations, the man who gets my trash, the tax man, my doctor and every person who worked there. It worked. I got cats adopted. I also got help getting cats spayed and neutered by friends helping and by the animal control and local animal shelter helping. I have put ads in the little free newspapers you see at convenience stores to find cats homes too. There are rescue shelters in some states that will take cats from anywhere. There are people who will also transport kitties to other places. Many pet supply companies help kitties too. Look on the cat food package and you will find a phone number for the company. Tell them you are trying to rescue these cats from a place that is dangerous for them. TRY ALL of this. If you don’t find help, keep posting here. Someone will try to help these kitties. Don’t leave them behind. Now that they love you they are depending on the food you give them. Without your help they will be in big trouble. Please keep doing what you are doing for them. Any life saved is a great thing. What you are doing is fantastic! Keep posting. I will be checking in to see how you are doing.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t know where you are but where I live it is also hard to find homes for kitties. I have managed to get it done by going online to find rescue groups. They are out there but it takes some looking. I also had luck by asking every single person I ran into. The post man, the police, the cashier at the stores and gas stations, the man who gets my trash, the tax man, my doctor and every person who worked there. It worked. I got cats adopted. I also got help getting cats spayed and neutered by friends helping and by the animal control and local animal shelter helping. I have put ads in the little free newspapers you see at convenience stores to find cats homes too. There are rescue shelters in some states that will take cats from anywhere. There are people who will also transport kitties to other places. Many pet supply companies help kitties too. Look on the cat food package and you will find a phone number for the company. Tell them you are trying to rescue these cats from a place that is dangerous for them. TRY ALL of this. If you don’t find help, keep posting here. Someone will try to help these kitties. Don’t leave them behind. Now that they love you they are depending on the food you give them. Without your help they will be in big trouble. Please keep doing what you are doing for them. Any life saved is a great thing. What you are doing is fantastic! Keep posting. I will be checking in to see how you are doing.
i live in newton county missisisppi atm its the stix there is no animal shelter within 40 miles and its a kill shelter very dirty nobody even goes there so unless you find someone to take them they are basically a goner :( i just wish getting animals fixed didnt cost so much money

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. Sounds like we need to try and search for help. I have looked up some possibilities for you. First, call you shelter. Not about taking the kitties! Call about reduced rates to spay and neuter. Ask if they do that. Ask if they have a “ Barn Cat” program for spay/ neuter frrals. If they say no ask if they know of anywhere you can get help. Next look up PAWS in your area and call them and ask the same things. Next call Animal Rescue League at 601-649-0821 and ask them the same qiestions. Then East Mississippi Animal Trscue and plead for help with thembtoo. 601-553-3060. I looked these up quickly and they may not be the right places to help but ask them if they know who can help. Tell them you are trying to save lives. Tell them your story. I have very bad vision and could not drive my rescues. I M on limited income and could not afford everything I needed to do. We share the same desire to help but also some of the same problems. I just kept calling, texting and emailing every shelter, rescue group, and even pet food companies until I found help for the kitties here. I can tell you care. You can find the help you need. Just reach out to others. Tell your story and tell that you even have a home for one if you can get it taken there. You are not alone in wanting to help those cats. Don’t give up. You just have to find the right person or place. You can do this. :yess:

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. Sounds like we need to try and search for help. I have looked up some possibilities for you. First, call you shelter. Not about taking the kitties! Call about reduced rates to spay and neuter. Ask if they do that. Ask if they have a “ Barn Cat” program for spay/ neuter frrals. If they say no ask if they know of anywhere you can get help. Next look up PAWS in your area and call them and ask the same things. Next call Animal Rescue League at 601-649-0821 and ask them the same qiestions. Then East Mississippi Animal Trscue and plead for help with thembtoo. 601-553-3060. I looked these up quickly and they may not be the right places to help but ask them if they know who can help. Tell them you are trying to save lives. Tell them your story. I have very bad vision and could not drive my rescues. I M on limited income and could not afford everything I needed to do. We share the same desire to help but also some of the same problems. I just kept calling, texting and emailing every shelter, rescue group, and even pet food companies until I found help for the kitties here. I can tell you care. You can find the help you need. Just reach out to others. Tell your story and tell that you even have a home for one if you can get it taken there. You are not alone in wanting to help those cats. Don’t give up. You just have to find the right person or place. You can do this. :yess:
thanks i appreciate the effort these kittys are very lovable already after only 2 days i wake up and all 3 of them sleep on my face and neck lol they desperately need good homes