How to care for a stray or semiferal

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I found this site today and need so e little help, this saturday I capture a stray or semi feral kitty, she was living on the roof from where I work. The vets says she might be six months old and this monday she was neutered.

I really need some advice:

1- how to make her trust us, she is always hiding and during the night I can hear her trying to open the window( she did open one time and try to escape through the safety net).

2- we try to reach ou to her with wet food but she wont even try to smell and only eats at night.

3- she wont react to toys, but I notice she following with her eyes, petting is big no for her she will hiss at us and try to hit if we try to get close with anything.

I think thats everything , she has her own room with lots of toys, since we have 6 pets at home.And today for the first time since i saw her she started meowing. IMG-20220409-WA0023.jpg IMG-20220409-WA0009.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello, I found this site today and need so e little help, this saturday I capture a stray or semi feral kitty, she was living on the roof from where I work. The vets says she might be six months old and this monday she was neutered.

I really need some advice:

1- how to make her trust us, she is always hiding and during the night I can hear her trying to open the window( she did open one time and try to escape through the safety net).

2- we try to reach ou to her with wet food but she wont even try to smell and only eats at night.

3- she wont react to toys, but I notice she following with her eyes, petting is big no for her she will hiss at us and try to hit if we try to get close with anything.

I think thats everything , she has her own room with lots of toys, since we have 6 pets at home.And today for the first time since i saw her she started meowing.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking this kitty in and having her spayed and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

Since it's barely a week, it's natural for her to hide and of course tries to escape and good thing that she did not get pass the netting.

I agree with what Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned. Give her time.

Meowing is a good sign. Feel free to ask questions and I have to sign off for now and I'll revisit this thread. :hangin: on.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
And today for the first time since i saw her she started meowing.
She sounds more like a stray than a feral. A feral will not meow at you. Looks like you just need a little work to gain her trust. Visit her many times a day and each time announce your arrival by calling out to her in a sweet loving voice. This way, you won't startle her by appearing in the room all of a sudden.

You can leave some of your clean unwashed non perfume garments with her so that she can get use to your scents. Cats go by scents and routines.

Each time when you are in the room, sit on the floor to make yourself look small so that she don't get intimidated. Have treats or food in your hand and also a cat wand and try to play with her so that she can come out from hiding. Keep her calm by playing some quiet classical music.

Give her time to adjust to the new surroundings. Never pull her out of hiding or corner her that she sense no ways of escape. This will make her hostile and also distrust you.

Do the slow eye blinks with her. Each time you unlink at her, look away slowly. This way is to tell her that you are submissive and she's in charge. Never starer at her point blank.

Once she's ready and feels that there's no threat, she'll eventually come out of hiding. Just give her time and don't rush her. Love, patience and routine rules the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - sounds like she's coming along really well! Don't rush or push her, let her figure things out which she will, but in her own time, not yours.
I have two strays but they where really sweet since the beggining and seeing her being so scared of us makes me really anxious and I start panicking.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides all the other great advice, cats favorite place to scratch is below the ears. She will seem like she wants to be outside but that will change over time

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking this kitty in and having her spayed and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

Since it's barely a week, it's natural for her to hide and of course tries to escape and good thing that she did not get pass the netting.

I agree with what Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned. Give her time.

Meowing is a good sign. Feel free to ask questions and I have to sign off for now and I'll revisit this thread. :hangin: on.
I have been really anxious becaus most of my cats adapt really fast to me and my family, but izzy ( the new one) its taking a little longer, and right now before bed I saw tapeworm on her poop and dont know what to do.

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides all the other great advice, cats favorite place to scratch is below the ears. She will seem like she wants to be outside but that will change over time
I really hoping for a day she will let me pet her, for now I can only watch her.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep her in the bathroom til she sees a vet. It took my cat over a year? Or ask if otc advantage will take care of it

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have been really anxious becaus most of my cats adapt really fast to me and my family, but izzy ( the new one) its taking a little longer, and right now before bed I saw tapeworm on her poop and dont know what to do.
Some cats warms up faster than others. Some takes a little longer time but just don't give up.

Yes, as what maggie101 maggie101 mentioned, check with your vet about the medication for tapeworm and see if you can either get it from them or ask them to recommend a good OTC brand. Tell them it's foe a new rescue and it's hard to bring her to the vet at the moment.

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I talked to her vet and he passed some medication, today at work i gonna buy it.
A few minutes ago she starded meowing and for the first time she left her hiding place to show me that she wanted me to open the window, I hope this is a good sing and I shall ignore the part that she wanted me to open so she could escape, I did open but with the glass part closed.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello, I talked to her vet and he passed some medication, today at work i gonna buy it.
A few minutes ago she starded meowing and for the first time she left her hiding place to show me that she wanted me to open the window, I hope this is a good sing and I shall ignore the part that she wanted me to open so she could escape, I did open but with the glass part closed.
It's good that she's out of hiding and wanted to look out the window and that's as far as she can go. Sit at the window with her and chat with her and never ever open the window for her.

As long as the is not showing signs of escape or running wild in the room trying to bash through the window, I think slowly she'll get use to it. Just keep pace with her and ignore strange requests from her to let her out. If she does that, divert her attention with a treat or toy.

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello in need of help again, Izzy started going out of her box a lot, she doesnt hide or run away anymore but only at night, during the day she only stays at her box and doesnt eat. I really need some help to make her eat during the day and to begin eating in front of me.
I would like to know how do I begin petting her.

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I capture a little cat where I work, its been 3 weeks so I decide to finaly show her since now she is the sweetest cat .

This is Izzy in the beginning she wouldn't even look at us, after a week she started showing interest on me and my family peaking to see what we are doing, than 2 weeks in she couldn't resist anymore she wanted to play, her favorite toys are little balls with bells, she would still run away from us if we were standing up ou try to move close.

This week she finally took courage and decide to see what is this Giant hairless thing called human is, and she got close enough to smell us and then she kinda liked and decide to lay down on the floor and charmed us and let us pet her, now she doesn't want to play much just wants to be petted.
Next week I hoping to start introducing her to my cats, for now she won't get out of her room is to spooky for her right now.:hyper:

IMG-20220427-WA0010.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! She has come a long way for 3 weeks! If she is letting you pet her, that is huge! She is coming along, make sure to go slow with any introductions to your other cats. Females are the limit setters, so if she gets hissy, that is normal. Please keep us updated!

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! She has come a long way for 3 weeks! If she is letting you pet her, that is huge! She is coming along, make sure to go slow with any introductions to your other cats. Females are the limit setters, so if she gets hissy, that is normal. Please keep us updated!
I think she may like my cats real fast my problem is my dog she is kinda of a brute with new friends.

Bunnbs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, new update :D
Izzy and zoe now are the best friends they really like each other, my problem now its my cat phoebe( female), i can't make her get close enough to izzy, my other 2 cats already kinda of accept her, phoebe won't ever look at izzy she stays inside my room just waiting for me, if izzy try to aproach her she star hissing wich is kinda of new.
It's been kinda of hard doing izzy introduction since I used to doing with wet food, izzy isnt food motivated and when she sees my other cats she wants to go play with them, playing doesnt work either because she just wants to play with the cats.

And new photos of izzy

IMG-20220510-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220510-WA0002.jpg

VID-20220511-WA0019_001_1.gif

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello, new update :D
Izzy and zoe now are the best friends they really like each other, my problem now its my cat phoebe( female), i can't make her get close enough to izzy, my other 2 cats already kinda of accept her, phoebe won't ever look at izzy she stays inside my room just waiting for me, if izzy try to aproach her she star hissing wich is kinda of new.
4ab228563a0ee29d507ea5919e88f303.gif

As for Phoebe, it could take a little longer but don't give up. Do what you've been doing.