How to bring in a stray cat?

MorningstarM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a question about 2 male cats that I'd like to find home for but they don't let me hold them and needless to mention catch them so how do I go about this without scaring them badly? I tried to hold the younger one yesterday and he just wiggled until he set himself free. In anither thread I'll explain why I was about to save him alone. Now that they're both back again I want to find good homes for both of them. I don't have much space where to keep them since apartment is small and I have 1 cat that doesn't like having other cats around. And I'm scared if 2 of them might be sick and spread fleas at home since we struggled to get rid of thrm when wr got that cat from street as well. Between these 2 older one loves to cuddle with me but still doesn't like being picked up. He shows so much affection and I love that cat, I was scared he died do now that I know he's still alive I'm determined to find good home for both of them. I can't take just 1 in and leave the other cause they stick together all the time and I'd hate leaving one on the street alone in such cold weather...so any advice in how to catch them to bring them in without having them scared of me after that is greatly appreciated. Also I need to make the younger one more comfortable being touched cause I can't find him home if he fights peoplw when they want tp hold him and runs away. He also lets me cuddle him only when he's eating and is slpwly adjusting to cuddle on his own by rubbing his side around my legs and is inspecting my hand when I cuddle the older one

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It could take months before they fully trust you and from what you have described, they don't have months. In other words, you will have to face the fact that you will probably scare them at first- but they will get over it.

Do you have any traps that you can put out or could you possibly borrow a trap from animal control, or a animal rescue group? Have you tried putting a cat carrier out with some tasty food inside? Are you on foot when you see them, or do you have to drive?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MorningstarM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could take months before they fully trust you and from what you have described, they don't have months. In other words, you will have to face the fact that you will probably scare them at first- but they will get over it.

Do you have any traps that you can put out or could you possibly borrow a trap from animal control, or a animal rescue group? Have you tried putting a cat carrier out with some tasty food inside? Are you on foot when you see them, or do you have to drive?
Yeah only thing I could think of was to try putting food in carrier and try to catch them that way. I brought it from my mom's home to home where I live now and they hang around my building so I think to try that way. After catching them I'd need to take them to mom which isn't very far away but would be less harming to take them with car I think. I'll have them taken in car there if I manage to get them to get inside carrier. Older one maybe will let me hold it at some pount but younger one is the problem and I don't feel like leaving him behind cause he would be all alone then and in danger without his buddy-uncle (older one is brother of younger one's mom and we fed him since he was very little as well so he's more accustomed to us). I wasn't going to take them in while ago because they were doing fine, there was a bunch of them who stick together and many people would feed them so they erre never hungry. But since 2 mknths ago older one was attacked and injured by something, since then he changed and is vonstsntly in fear and spends most of the time hidden at one same place. Another male that people let out for walk only hunts him whenever he comes out and now dogs hunt him too. One day I had to ssve him from both -that male and a dog. The other day it was 3 dogs cornered him and barking at him...younger one is still small enough to hide under one car that doesn't move so they can't get to him yet. And every day it's extremely cold for quite some time now where I live. That's why I started looking for homes for 2 of them and would just like to get them in at any cost to save them, eventhough I don't have much space it's still better than leaving them outside in such conditions. We basically have no animal rescue - the ones we have take in dogs only and their days are short once they get there, so not quite the rescue. And yeah I don't have traps to use to catch them, can only try with carrier if they willingly get in for food or to grab them and force them in

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MorningstarM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.S. sorry about all the typing errors lol I don't use spell check due to my mother tongue not being english so this is the product of fast typing and no spell check

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a really bad situation for the cats. I just posted in another thread about how four cats near me in different areas were killed by free roaming dogs just this week :( Thank you so much for trying to help them!!!

I apologize though, I’m not entirely clear what it is you’re wanting to know here. Going to give you some general advice, but please let me know if you have more specific questions!

Since the situation seems VERY dangerous, getting the kitties inside and safe ASAP will be the priority here.

Do you have a bathroom or laundry room that you could house these guys in until getting them to your mom’s? Or would your resident cat be able to deal with them being in your bedroom for a short period of time?

What is your plan after taking them to your Moms?

Will you be able to visit them frequently at your moms house to work with them, or is your mom willing to help socialize them? (And scoop boxes, feed and water, clean up, etc)

How long would your mom be willing to hold onto them for? Finding homes for adults can take a while.

Do you have the means to get them neutered and vaccinated? What about flea and worm treatment or a general check up at the vet? All of these things will make finding homes for them exponentially easier, and also benefit the cats directly.

I have a lot of traditional traps and even a drop trap, but these days I actually prefer using a carrier or a larger dog crate to trap cats. Yours sound socialized enough that it should be very simple!

Also, keep in mind that not all cats like being handled or held. This is very normal, even for house cats. It will take a little longer to find an adopter because of it in most cases, but it is far from impossible!

From what you describe, I’m willing to bet that once these cats are in a home environment, out of danger and inclement weather, and have 2-3 weeks to adjust, you will find they are far more affectionate and social! You may very well be able to pick them up by then!

Keep in mind, while living outdoors - and especially in direct, continuous threat from other cats and from packs of dogs - they are in an extreme survival mode. Getting a cat to safety boosts their confidence and allows them to significantly lower their defenses, and it’s likely they will become much more docile once they realize they are safe from all of those dangers outside.

Some cats cat be “trained” to tolerate picking them up if you really commit to working with them for a few weeks on that specifically, but some will always be difficult to handle or impossible to pick up - again, this is actually very normal! It’s one of the things I consider to be the least important obstacles when it comes to finding an adopter!

One more question for you, though - does the older cat seem ill at all? His/her behavior is very likely due to trauma and fear of attacks, but you may want to rule out illness with a vet visit once you secure them.

Thank you for trying to help. And really, from what you described, I would consider this an incredibly urgent situation as to their safety. A cat is prey to a dog in the same way a mouse is to a cat.

And this is incredibly traumatizing for these cats to deal with even when they escape without injury or worse. The longer they have to be out there with such threats, the greater the risk of injury or death, but also behavioral issues stemming from trauma. I would do everything possible to get them safely inside in the next day or two based on the level of risk that you describe.

Please keep us updated! And thank you again for caring so much about these sweet kitties!!!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
P.S. sorry about all the typing errors lol I don't use spell check due to my mother tongue not being english so this is the product of fast typing and no spell check

The typing errors are fine- I hate to think what my replies would look like without spellcheck. :)

Yes, it sounds like this is urgent for the one cat that has already been targeted by dogs and another cat- they will keep going after him. Can you walk to your mother's with two carriers?- that could get heavy.