How to break a hand-feeding habit?

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any tips on how to get a cat to go back to eating wet food from a dish rather than a hand after being sick?

Last year my cat Oliver had a months-long GI issue of Chronic Enteropathy which plagued us with appetite/feeding problems. Hand-feeding was the only way to get him to eat most of the time. My problem now is, Oliver is better, but everytime I try to serve his wet food in a dish he refuses to eat. I know he's happy to have his way where mom coddles him and feeds him by hand, but this is ridiculous.

The longest I've tried to get him to eat plated food is one day. I can't go any longer; I know that it's weakness on my part and I cave from the begging. Plus I hate wasting food. Should I just go cold turkey with him and stand my ground longer than a day? Or do I need to ease into it with only a few meals here and there?

By the way...he'll happily eat dry food and freeze dried raw from dishes, plus he WILL eat wet food left out overnight out of a dish when I'm not there to hand-feed. So this is clearly behavioral (me giving him his way and him loving it).

TIA for help! Much appreciated.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try weaning him off of hand feeding by only hand feeding him part of his meal and then leaving the rest in his dish? If he doesn’t eat what is in the dish you try again the next meal. I would hope within a few days he might get hungry enough to try to eat on his own.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Or keep hand-feeding, but (and this will take a LOT of patience on your part) sit on the floor next to his dish. Slowly, over several days, move your hand closer to the dish, then down into the dish. At that point, start tipping the food out of your hand into the dish. Not sure this will work, but is worth a try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or keep hand-feeding, but (and this will take a LOT of patience on your part) sit on the floor next to his dish. Slowly, over several days, move your hand closer to the dish, then down into the dish. At that point, start tipping the food out of your hand into the dish. Not sure this will work, but is worth a try!
This is a good plan. It's doable and makes so much sense given that cats tend to respond to baby steps. He's taken well to small steps before, like when I did collar training with him. Slow and steady.

Thank you so very much!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we're here for! Let me know if that works for you! I'll file it away for future reference!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:lol:or you can try to time his feedings when you leave to run errands or leave the house and pretend to be gone:lol:he cant guilt trip you then
Good thinking! Thank you!

I'm going to combine this with mamanyt1953's step-by-step plan. I totally forgot about the times that I've left the house and he'd eat wet food all by himself. Since I got laid off from work because of Covid I've been home for soooo long, and it's contributed to the problem.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'll keep you guys posted!:sunshine:
Any update about your cat?
My one year old cat suddenly stopped eating wet food unless fed by hand. I brought her to the vet twice and all bloodwork and radiographs came back normal. She is still active, drinking, playing. But she refuse to eat wet food. I have tried many brands, flavors, textures. She doesn’t care! She would nibble some dry food when I give some to her but she never finishes her plate. Any advise?