How to administer meds with sub-Q fluids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Problem is I have severe crippled hands with limited mobility, no problem using my finger tips to type but I can't get a good grip on things, nor hold a pen to write comfortably.
I guess I shouldn't make assumptions, huh? I was ASSuming that the 'freak out' factor was involved - I probably waited too long to start Feeby on sub-Q fluids because of that.

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I shouldn't make assumptions, huh? I was ASSuming that the 'freak out' factor was involved - I probably waited too long to start Feeby on sub-Q fluids because of that.
You weren't making assumptions, you were offering helpful most appreciated advice, which if possible would have saved me thousands. One cat going daily to the vet, the other on an as needed basis, financially I was wiped out. The fluids, many meds administered was quite an expense but well worth it; I would do it all over again. Neither cat was ready to leave their world. Previous cats always gave me a sign.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did close off the sub-Q flow when I administered the B-12 in the y port, just in case. The 25 gauge needle went in with no problem, and the B-12 was 'gone' quickly. I then opened the sub-Q line and finished off the 100ml. So, yay!

Now, I hate to start a new thread for a somewhat unrelated question or two, so I will try here first. Feeby's skin is very firm now that she has been receiving sub-Q fluids, almost to the point it is really hard to grab enough skin to ensure that is all I am getting. Secondly, because of this, I am scared to go from the 22 gauge 5/8" needles I am currently using, despite the fact that I bought the recommended Terumo thin-walled needles that are 20 gauge 1" needles. I stupidly thought the ones I had were 1". I have already gone through the skin to the other side of the tent once or twice, and now fear that another 3/8" on the new needles are going to cause me to do so more often. It seems I can't get 20 gauge in 5/8" length for the Terumo needles, not even 22 g in 5/8" if I want to use these beloved Terumo ones.

Anyone experience these issues? Very firm skin and running a needle through the other side of the tent with a 1" needle?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try and massage the skin a bit before inserting the needle, that might help to loosen the skin. I have the 1 inch Terumo needles and have gone through to the other side once (this was my vet tech pet sitter doing the actual administration so it can happen even with lots of experience).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what is going on with my vet and their supplies but I had to start another batch of needles they supplied. It turns out they are Terumo Sur-Vet thin-walled needles at the 22g x 3/4" and the change was astounding! We went from nearly 10 minutes down to nearly 6 minutes, and the needle was much easier to stick into her. I am going to ask for these every time and hold onto the Terumo thin-walled 20g x 1" for now.

All I know is that based on others' experiences and what I just went through, Terumo seems to be a by far better needle. We'll see if it stays that way after a few more treatments. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two mostly related updates -

The vet cannot guarantee they will always have the Terumo thin walled 22-gauge x 3/4" needles available, so I started using the Terumo thin walled 20-gauge x 1" needles that I had previously ordered. That 1/4" extra needle length still kind of bugs me, but I used them and the administration time of 100ml fluids is now down to about 3 minutes!!! It takes more time to prep and put things away than it does to give Feeby her fluids!!!!!

Started shopping around for sub-Q fluid bags and tubing. I knew I was paying a high price to just get them from my vet, so I asked them about why they are so much higher than other places. The claim they will price match if I show them a lower price - I will find out when I go to pick up the next bag/tubing. If so, I will pay about $15 vs. the ridiculous $36 the vet wants.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
In used Terumo needles for Artie. I think I used the 20 gauge. I did prefer the 1/2 or 3/4 inch; but when in a shortage, I used the 1 inch; remembering not to use the entire length of the needle. I found more of a chance of it going through the skin, on the other side of the 'pinch".

In a shortage of Terumo needles, I did try another brand of ultra thin walled needles. I forget the name--deleted after Artie went to the rainbow bridge. And I forget the website where I found them, cheaper than anywhere else.
The ultra thin walled needles, make insertion much easier and less painful. Twenty gauge goes in so fast.
One point: never use an 18 gauge needle. It is like a harpoon.

Good luck with the price matching.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
are you saying you are paying up to $36 for just one bag of ringer's lactate? 😲 How big are they?
Yep, that is what I am saying - a 1000ml bag and tubing. Insane!!!!! :rolleyes3: At the start, I was more worried about getting the process straight in my head. Then, when I started looking around at other places to get the sub-Qs, the difference blew my mind! I sure hope they price match, or I will take the chances of bag damage through delivery - I've seen a number of complaints about that on Chewy.com.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have probably given SQ fluids to cats 1000s and 1000s of times. I cannot use the 1-inch needles. It is just to long. I like the safety of the 3/4 inch needle should they move or if my stupid hand doesn't do what I tell it to. It is easy enough to skewer them with the short needles, let alone the long ones.

Feeby, if your cat has developed a thickened area or tough area where you are giving the fluids, move over an inch and see if that helps. Some people will give the SQ fluids in the legs or the lower back area. I don't. That area is far to sensitive. I stick with the scruff area. Some tips are to make sure the bevel of your needle is facing upwards when you insert it. Don't expect to always feel a resistance to the needle. Sometimes it goes in smoothly and if you try to get the "pop" of the needle going in you skewer them.

With the vitaminB12, don't shut the fluids off. just place the syringe of the vitamin B12 into the port and start your fluids. At any time after starting, you can give the Vitamin B12, and you don't have to go slow or worry about it. Just make sure there is no air in the syringe of the B12. Otherwise, it is too much to have to fool around with. Remember the B12 is light sensitive, so you want to only set it up right before you get ready to give the fluids.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S silent meowlook - pretty much in alignment with all you have said. Thankfully, I haven't been having issues with the longer needles so far - other than mentally. Needle bevel is always faced up; and I have not met with any resistance as of yet, the needle slides in smoothly with not even a flinch from Feeby. I also rotate the placement and area (right, left, center / lower neck, upper back in various zig-zag patterns); wherever I can pinch a comfortable level of loose skin.

I only prepare B-12 right beforehand and haven't gotten air in the syringe. I think I have now done both stopping the sub-Q fluids and not stopping them, it doesn't really seem to make a difference. I do have a helper, so they hold the sub-Q needle in place, and I have both hands free to do the rest.

All of this with the ending note of 'knock on wood' - in the hopes of not having jinxed myself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Picked up the sub-Qs and tubing - the vet office price matched, but tbh everyone in the office was a bit confused by it. From questions about if it was the same brand (it is), to how to charge for the tubing since it is listed separately on Chewy but is built into the total at the vets. Who knew vets would price match! And, who knows what happens next time...