How the heck do I clean my cats ears ?

Ariya Carleton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to clean just the tips - she was a stray. They literally have black flakes. She hates it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried to clean just the tips - she was a stray. They literally have black flakes. She hates it.
Definitely mites! Treatment at the vet is quick and easy. It's best not to use a q-tip as parts of the flakes can fall off and into the ear and even cause infection.

Your vet will use an ear cleaning solution specific to cats and then apply something for the mites. If you clean it first, your vet might not see the mites and treat for them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she goes outside, she might be more inclined to contract mites - and dirt in general. Once you have her checked (and treated, if need be) for mites, you can ask the vet to show you the best way to clean her ears at home. You can use any kind of cotton makeup remover type pads (plain, not with soaps in them) and just cut them to a reasonable size for her ears, wet them down with warm water, squeeze out the excess water, and wipe the inside of her ears.

You don't want to go deep into the ear, but you do need to look in the ear canal to see if you find 'specks' or dirt further down - in that case, best to have a vet or vet tech clean them.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely mites! Treatment at the vet is quick and easy. It's best not to use a q-tip as parts of the flakes can fall off and into the ear and even cause infection.

Your vet will use an ear cleaning solution specific to cats and then apply something for the mites. If you clean it first, your vet might not see the mites and treat for them.
Could also be a yeast infection. They can look similar.
But vet still required for sure.