How Terrible Is Friskies Chicken Pate?

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im wondering if I should return this case I bought. The ingredients definitely look worse than FF. I don’t mind FF being in our rotation, but after researching Friskies on here I’m wondering if I want that included. Who feeds Friskies and what are your opinions? It’s only the Friskies chicken pate.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed these 5 flavors.

Friskies Pate:
Liver & Chicken Dinner
Turkey & Giblets Dinner
Poultry Platter
Mixed Grill
Country Style Dinner

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't feed wet food that contains peas, carrots, spinach, corn, wheat gluten etc, all those veggies and carbohydrates stuff. I think friskies contains quite a bit, but it's been a while since I looked. I am choosing wet over dry because I don't want those things for my cat, so I think it's pointless to feed wet food that still has all that stuff.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to feed Friskies (never could get him to eat their pate) until the Big Guy decided he didn't like it any more.
I have a couple cans in the pantry, I might see if he'll go for it since it's been a while.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which flavor exactly? Friskies doesn't have a plain chicken flavor. There are chicken & tuna, and chicken & liver, but not just chicken.

I feed my cats canned Friskies pate flavors. I'm satsified with the results. It's pretty low-carb and doesn't have a lot of veggies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which flavor exactly? Friskies doesn't have a plain chicken flavor. There are chicken & tuna, and chicken & liver, but not just chicken.

I feed my cats canned Friskies pate flavors. I'm satsified with the results. It's pretty low-carb and doesn't have a lot of veggies.
This one

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my guys friskies wet food (in addition to Nutrisource dry food), the pates really aren't that bad. I feed a rotation of 7 different flavors (what the PetSmart up here sells), and they are all grain free and don't list any veggies. I do feed fish flavors too, which some people disagree with.
Chicken Dinner, Chef Dinner, Salmon Dinner, White fish and Tuna Dinner, Mariner's Catch, Turkey and Giblets Dinner, and Seafood Supreme.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, we don't have that flavor in the US. OK, this looks like the proper ingredient list: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/purina-friskies-pate-chicken-dinner-cat-food/6000071408703
Meat by-Products, Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken, Poultry by-Products, Rice, Artificial and Natural Flavours, Calcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Added Colour, Potassium Chloride, Minerals, Salt, Carrageenan, Taurine, Vitamins.

I'm fine with by-products in a canned food. There are no veggies or carbs except for rice, and that's pretty far down the list. The artificial flavors and added coloring aren't great. If Fancy Feast is an option financially, you could stick with that. But if price is an issue I consider Friskies acceptable.

Yeah, if they have Poultry Platter in Canada, it has turkey as the first ingredient and no added color.

I use Mixed Grill, Poultry Platter, and Turkey & Giblets. Mainly because those are the only ones that come in the 13 oz cans, are pate, and aren't fish-based, lol.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, we don't have that flavor in the US. OK, this looks like the proper ingredient list: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/purina-friskies-pate-chicken-dinner-cat-food/6000071408703
Meat by-Products, Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken, Poultry by-Products, Rice, Artificial and Natural Flavours, Calcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Added Colour, Potassium Chloride, Minerals, Salt, Carrageenan, Taurine, Vitamins.

I'm fine with by-products in a canned food. There are no veggies or carbs except for rice, and that's pretty far down the list. The artificial flavors and added coloring aren't great. If Fancy Feast is an option financially, you could stick with that. But if price is an issue I consider Friskies acceptable.

Yeah, if they have Poultry Platter in Canada, it has turkey as the first ingredient and no added color.

I use Mixed Grill, Poultry Platter, and Turkey & Giblets. Mainly because those are the only ones that come in the 13 oz cans, are pate, and aren't fish-based, lol.
I don’t think we have poultry platter here in Canada unfortunately. We have half the stuff you guys have!
I bought the Friskies as a treat now and then type food, same with the FF. The majority of their diet is Merrick, Nutro, Weruva, Wellness, chicken soup for the soul, nulo and performatrin ultra. I don’t mind the FF, and they love it, but I think I might just return this Friskies today. Thanks!!

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found poultry platter on the petsmart.ca website. The rest of Friskies are on sale for .60 each, and poultry platter is $1.44! If I’m going to pay $1.44, I’m going to buy a better quality food! Lol. So annoying.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found www.catfooddb.com to be very helpful. You can look up particular foods and they have a breakdown of the ingredients and percentage of carbs, etc. I always look up new foods on there before I purchase.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that's the same size can? That price might be for the 13-oz can.
Yes, that's the price for a large can. It's available in Dollarama for CAD 1.25 and in grocery stores (sobey's, dominion etc.) For slightly higher price. I don't seem to see poultry platter in small cans.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Some FF pates have added colors and sodium nitrite and all have artificial flavors. And synthetic vitamin K.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat eats almost exclusively Friskies pates and does well on them! I don't see much difference between Friskies and FF... the big thing is just that FF is 100% grain free while Friskies has a bit of rice. It is not a lot so I personally don't have a problem with it and can't justify the fact that FF costs more for a smaller can just because it lacks a tiny bit of rice.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tried some friskies poultry patte but cats had gas, bad breath on it and one puked it up-she ate too much ... and I am sure the birds were kept in tiny cruel cages and fed antibiotics etc it smelled kinda foul no pun intendo
my cats are thriving on 1/3 wysong vitality dry and 2/3 trader joes turkey wet foods.
Both are elderly -the one yr old gets more dry.
I think in factory farms turkey is purer/less abused than chickens?
If we spend more now on quality food- we save later on vet bills i have learned