How soon after flea bath can I use flea medicine?

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just discovered fleas on my cat yesterday...

I gave her a bath using a shampoo (The Sentry PurrScription Plus Flea and Tick Shampoo) that states it kills fleas, eegs and larva. I combed her out with a flea comb this morning and only found one living flea (which I think is a good sign).
about a month ago I put some frontline that my vet gave me on her neck. I have one tube left and want to use it, but I have seen some scary stuff of what can happen if you mix a flea bath with flea medicine. How long should I wait to give her the frontline, or is it safe to do it now??

We are also washing literally everything in my apartment tonight and giving the house a through spray down with some flea spray. Anything else I can do to get rid of the fleas?

The woman I talked to at petsmart suggested giving her a pill to kill the fleas ( http://www.petsmart.com/food-health...6-catid-100205?_t=pfm=search&pfmvalue=faceted )? But I wasn't comfortable with the idea of giving her a pill that my vet did not prescribe. Would that be a good idea?? or should I stick with my gut on this one?

Any suggestions are welcome! 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get your kitty to the vet or call the vet and ask for topical flea medication.  Over the counter flea collars, shampoo, and "medicine" can be dangerous and even fatal to cats.  You can bathe her in plain blue dawn dish soap and water if you feel the need to bathe her again, but a good topical flea treatment such as Advantage or Frontline from the vet will work.  Also, please don't use flea spray as that can also be toxic to both humans and cats.  You can sprinkle FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth, available from health food stores, feed stores, organic garden centers, and online sources to treat any fleas in your home.  You can also apply it outside, since that's generally where fleas are found originally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some topical medicine from my vet. I gave her a bath yesterday and I was just wondering when it would be safe to use the Medicine after the bath. I have heard it can be dangerous to mix flea shampoos and topical medicine.

I'll keep the dish soap thing in mind if I need to give her an additional bath before the end of the month (that's how long the flea shampoo says to wait). 

I have used flea spray/powder in the past and no cats have become ill from it. We just lock the cats out of the area that is being treated until it is safe to enter the room again. The instructions state very clearly to keep pets and children away from the room while it is working. 

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't apply the flea topical any time soon, unless you've spoken to the Vet about it. Not knowing what active ingredient is in either the shampoo nor the exact topical, its not to safe that you should apply anything else. I know most flea shampoos say not to re-shampoo for another week or two, not sure if that applies to topicals but I think it would at the very least. Also  I've not had much luck with Frontline against fleas. My dog actually ended up infested with them until I bathed him once the time was up on the topical and then flea sprayed him with Adams flea spray. By the way, I am in Kentucky. Not sure if the fleas have adapted or what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been looking online at other places as well and they have been saying that frontline has not been working as well on fleas recently. Many vets are recommending "revolution" instead of frontline... 
I'll give my vet a call and see if they have changed what they are recommending.