How Slow Should You Transition To Raw With A Cat With A Sensitive Stomach

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I felt there was too much to put in the she liked the rabbit thread. i have been feeding my 6 year old Maine Coon 4-5 meals a day soft. She 11.6 lbs. She's on natures instinct lid rabbit. She's prone to a sensitive stomach. She was down to 5 ounces for a couple weeks dealing with a bad hairball (insert allergies and ripping her hair out). She eats about 6-7 ounces a day, leaves a lot of food all over. She's messy. I've been bad about kinda feeding her if she's hungry. Still dealing with the fact they should get hungry.

I made the whole ground carcass rabbit from hare today into meat cubes. Got it all put away. I had tried feeding her the raw with lots of hot water for like a really gravy (if my cat could talk she'd say, "no that was soup, weird soup"). She picked at it. So this morning i had forgotten to take out raw for today.

Yeah yeah make over 15 lbs raw food and forget to leave any out was brilliant. The person who suggested ice cube trays, believe it was a woman, you're a freaking goddess!!! So I used the warm water with one cube in a baggie to defrost for a few while I got a quick shower. Piped her meat defrost on plate and did add a little hot water for a tiny bit of gravy but didn't make it soup. I put the plate down and she handed me a big clump of hair (no I highly doubt this is because of the egg yolk in the recipe, It's normal right now).

I gave her a small cube (yes those dollar tree trays were on sale because the cubes are 2 different sizes, works for kitty) it was .8 ounces. I served her the plate and she looked at me funny. I didn't serve her canned soft food at the same time. I walked away to get her zrytec. She sucked it all down in like 2 minutes. The gravy? She doesn't really care just wants the wet meat.

Ok back on track. What's a reasonable transition schedule? I get if I just change her completely fast there will be ugly kitten butt blow out. I'm changing her to 4 meals a day.

I Am starting at .8 ounces twice a day. Should I move her to .8 at her meals 4 times a day. Start removing that .8 from the soft food? How fast should I increase raw? Or increase .8-1 ounce over a few weeks. I know it may not go as smooth as that but some guidance would be great.

Oh and how long do you feel is safe leaving raw down, say like 30 minutes? Should i start pulling her soft up too if she hasn't finished?