How should I go on about Hima's fvrcp vaccine? Any pointers?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl Hima was already an adult/almost an adult back in late 2017 when she showed up in my yard. She had a runny nose back then but she shook it off quickly. She was spayed with no shaved hair so it shouldn't have been a recent surgery. I don't know her vaccine history. If she got her kitten vaccines done.

I haven't had her vaccinated to this date with FVRCP. She goes out to the yard and interacts with the street cats daily. I read a lot about vaccinations including Lisa Pierson's website and SkeptVet. I'm still not decided. I'm most worried for the panleukopenia part of the FVRCP of course and I think it's the best to at least get her vaccinated once now.
  • I'm worried for the vaccine triggering another health problem. Especially because she has feline coronavirus, and she may still have liver sensitivity after her 2019 infection although she hasn't been ill since. Would a basic hemogram be enough before the vaccine or should I also get her kidneys and liver checked at least?
  • Would a single dose of FVRCP be enough? One vet said since she's adult even if she didn't get vaccinated before a single dose would be fine. All the other vets say they follow the kitten "two dose one month apart" route if they don't know the vaccine history of a cat? If I go for a second dose I would first want to get antibodies checked but is that even necessary? (My main issue here every vet visit is also risky for her health as she gets super stressed.)
  • My options are Fellocell 3 from Zoetis, or Tricat from Nobivac, or Biofel from Bioveta. I read side effects about the first two but they are super commonly used so it's probably that. I haven't read any side effects about BioVeta but also read no feedback at all, good or bad. Biofel PCH, emulsion for injection for cats

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely get her vaccinated with the adult dose. Since she has already been spayed, the chances are pretty good she had her vaccinations too, most vets won't operate until they do. When I bring in strays to be neutered they always get their shots too. We had distemper sweep through our neighborhood a few years back, we even had vet help and the only cats that survived were the vaccinated ones, it is a painful, devastating way to die. Any time a cat is outdoors there is the danger of not only being hit by a car, or killed by roaming dogs, but what they can get from other unvaccinated cats. My cats have leukemia now, almost certainly got from a cat bite outside. It's just not worth it to leave them unvaccinated. (or outside, sometimes we have no choice though)I have only had ONE cat show any symptoms of side effects, out of 50 or so, and that was to be lethargic for a day or two. Talk it over with your vet or research as to which vaccine you want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely get her vaccinated with the adult dose. Since she has already been spayed, the chances are pretty good she had her vaccinations too, most vets won't operate until they do. When I bring in strays to be neutered they always get their shots too. We had distemper sweep through our neighborhood a few years back, we even had vet help and the only cats that survived were the vaccinated ones, it is a painful, devastating way to die. Any time a cat is outdoors there is the danger of not only being hit by a car, or killed by roaming dogs, but what they can get from other unvaccinated cats. My cats have leukemia now, almost certainly got from a cat bite outside. It's just not worth it to leave them unvaccinated. (or outside, sometimes we have no choice though)I have only had ONE cat show any symptoms of side effects, out of 50 or so, and that was to be lethargic for a day or two. Talk it over with your vet or research as to which vaccine you want.
Did you get your other kitties vaccinated for FeLV? From what I read it’s said to be not worth it for adult cats but dunno 🤷‍♀️

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they received some, but obviously not enough boosters. If there is ANY chance to avoid FeLV I would do it. They are strictly indoors now and have lasted over 15 months, the vet said they only had days, we dug their graves.never underestimate the healing strength they have, cats are tough!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they received some, but obviously not enough boosters. If there is ANY chance to avoid FeLV I would do it. They are strictly indoors now and have lasted over 15 months, the vet said they only had days, we dug their graves.never underestimate the healing strength they have, cats are tough!
My apologies I worded my previous question in a confusing way. I meant to ask if you think I should get my girl vaccinated for FeLV too. Some sources say it’s a good idea to get FeLV vaccine too if the cat goes outdoors but some other sources say it’s not needed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doing research, it is recommended for any cat that is exposed to other cats, or goes outdoors should get the yearly FeLV booster. Strictly indoor cats every three years, but it is not strictly necessary for indoor cats. Not a 'core' vaccine like distemper that can be carried in on your shoes, it is THAT contagious. If your cat goes outside, get all the vaccines you can, if indoors, just the core vaccines your vet recommends.