How Should I Approach My Neighbor About Keeping Her Dog In The Heat?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neighbor, down the street, whom i never talked to but from what i heard from my other neighbor she has a chow with a thich coat that she keeps in the patio with no fan or AC. The heat in Houston gets brutal from this time of the year until late oct. Needless to say, id like to clock her teeth in but im not a violent person :) Can i call animal control on her? Whats the best course of action. I dont think a civil discussion will work, i mean, this sort of things is common sense.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Report it to animal control
This is a definite form of animal abuse. You could also call the Houston SPCA. Chows tolerate cold weather but do not do well in heat. Just out of curiosity, is the Chow kept outside on the patio 24/7 without access to the inside of the house?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Verify that this isn't here-say with your own eyes, several times. If your other neighbor "said" that this was going on, there's no reason to report anything until you know for sure the story wasn't embellished a bit. Do they know for a fact that the dog is out there all day, every day, and have they been inside (I assume this patio is enclosed somehow?) to make absolutely sure there is no cooling source?
It's good you care enough to take action, but don't jump the gun before you get the facts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The neighbor that told me go over her house at least once a week and babysit her kids from time to time. The patio has a roof and thats pretty much it.
The poor dog has pretty thick fur and i assume chows doing better in the cold than heat. Not only it gets hot but the humidity is murderous in Htown.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your neighbor sounds like a jerk, maybe if you ask to mind the dog during the day in your house ? like in the yard were there is shade. does she give him iced water to drink at least. Does he have a tree to get some shade. Is the patio a shaded area or he dog is constantly in the sun. I mean ok she has kids , but if she isnt able to look after a dog and let him cook in the heat, then she should rehome him cause the dog could get a heat stroke and die. If he is constantly in the sun and heat then i would call animal control. Like it would be better if the dog was able to run in the backyard to get some shade from the trees atleast, but being cooped up in a patio with no air. I hate people sometimes.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neighbor is dumb as baked mud. The patio has a roof with plain water for the dog to drink but thats pretty much it.
She has a small enclosure that my other neighbor told her to spend a $100 (which im sure she can afford) to install a window ac unit but like i said shes an idiot and a cheapskate to boot.

X2 i hate ppl sometimes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Besides the issue with the heat, does she interact, socialize or exercise, (both physical and mental stimulation), with the dog? Obviously you can't report her for that but it's one more reason why she may not be the right owner for this breed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
but it's one more reason why she may not be the right owner for this breed.
:yeah: It drives me :cringe: when people get a particular breed of dog or cat for no other reason than the breed is super cool / unique / whatever and / or they have something to show off on social media. They may not care for the specific care requirements a breed may have.

I'm sure you can make an anonymous report with the local SPCA or animal control and have them look into the issue further.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a chow mix, in Los Angeles, who lived inside 24/7 with central AC and personal fans. He suffered in the heat regardless. Some chow owners that I knew had the dog shaved during the summer but that does not mean that this dog still does not need much better care.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far as interaction goes, i rarely see her walk the dogs. To make matter worst, she has the daddy chow and his son who isnt fully grown yet.

I just talked to my other neughbor and asked him to tell her i’ll pony up the cash for a window unit. We’ll see how she’ll respond in the coming days. I’ll try to get her to at least shave the dogs.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, don't encourage her to shave him (unless he's matted). Double-coated dogs have a cooling mechanism built in and shaving can actually make them hotter. For that reason, many groomers will refuse to shave a double-coated dog that isn't badly matted. But an AC unit would definitely be great!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your able to assist with the Ac unit that is a great idea its a nice gesture and i hope she takes the idea on. And shaving the dog is not really a good idea because of the fur ability to cool them down. If the AC cost a lot then maybe a neighborly donation for a good cause can help to assist with the payment of the AC considering she has 3 dogs in total.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The thing that bothers me the most is that she certainly can afford a window unit. But she chose not to get one. The girl works,gets child support and her new boy toy just moved in.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In this case, I would skip buying the AC unit (who knows if she'll even bother to turn it on or pay the extra electric bill expenses, or haul it off into her house?) and do the anonymous tipoff to authorities and have them check it out. Thing is, a lot of officers won't do anything if the dog has shade and access to water.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea you maybe right. She woundnt turn down the AC for her kids much less spend the money on light bill for a dog. But my offer still stand. If she decides to do somethting else with the AC for something else then at least i know i tried. Thanks!

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sometimes i wonder why people like your neighbor exists in this world. Some people are so selfish and greedy and careless. We need more good people like you john.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That just made my day thank you!!!!!

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try reaching out and making gentle suggestions, but don't expect much. Calling the local ASPCA is probably the best next step, but I always take that with a grain of salt as well because they are not always in a position to do much. It may take several calls to annoy the neighbor enough to take action.