How Safe does this carpet cleaner look?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got tired 10 years ago of shampooing my carpet and the cats throwing up later. So i stopped shampooing the carpet.
My carpet is really dirty and i am looking to do something.
How safe does the carpet shampoo look? Knowing plants can be bad for cat. Then there is orange peel.grapefruit.

BiokleenCarpet & Rug Shampoo
ingredients
Water (filtered), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (plant based surfactant), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (plant based surfactant), Lauramine Oxide (plant based surfactant), Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside, Glycerin (vegetable), Sodium Chloride, C10-16 Alkyl Glucoside, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Sodium Carboxymethyl Inulin (plant based chelant), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, C10-16 Alcohols (plant based)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
To be on the safe side, after clearing the vomit, use cleaners like Nature's Miracle to clean the spot and then if the carpet can be raised, slip something like wooden block below to raise that spot to air or use a pile of newspaper if your carpet is not white or light colored, place a weight over it to soak up the moisture from he cleaner and change the newspaper when it's soaked up and wet and replace new set of paper till it's dry to touch and you can use the aid of the fan to speed up the drying.

Instead of using carpet shampoo or any toxic carpet cleaners, switch over to steam cleaning. Steam cleaning is the safest way to clean and the hot steam kills germs and bacteria without harming your cat or you or the environment. And you can steam clean all the toys, sofa, bed, cat tree, wooden flooring and almost anything without any worries of harm.
Before steam cleaning the carpet, vacuum up the dirt and hair first.

Ever since my boy came so stay with us, I chucked out all chemicals in the house ad only use 50/50 water and vinegar to clean table tops and the counter top where he eats or generally clean any top or anything with it and steam clean too.
With this, I take out all the guessing work.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RE: tabbytom
About steam cleaning.
During the past months i looked into steam cleaning as a safe way to clean carpets however it was very frustrating because i could not find a straight answer if chemicals were involved in steam cleaning carpets or not.
When i researched steam cleaning, there seems a 'solution' is used with steam cleaning.
Is it possible to steam clean a carpet without chemicals or solutions?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
RE: tabbytom
About steam cleaning.
During the past months i looked into steam cleaning as a safe way to clean carpets however it was very frustrating because i could not find a straight answer if chemicals were involved in steam cleaning carpets or not.
When i researched steam cleaning, there seems a 'solution' is used with steam cleaning.
Is it possible to steam clean a carpet without chemicals or solutions?
Yes, when I mentioned steam cleaning of carpets I'm not referring to sending them to the commercial cleaners or have them come over to do it.

You can but a heavy duty one or at least a good one that has a sizable reservoir to hold the water so that you don't have refill it frequently during your cleaning session. When done by yourself, there's no chemical involved and you are sure that your equipment is not stained or contaminated by any toxic chemicals. Just use water and let the steam do it's work and of course if the carpet or anything that you wish to steam clean which is very soiled, it takes a few session to get it clean.

I like steam cleaning with just plain old tap water because there's no rinsing to do and no harsh chemical residues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I like steam cleaning with just plain old tap water because there's no rinsing to do and no harsh chemical residues.
That is what would be ideal: clean without chemicals.
Hot water cleaning the household is the best cleaner as there are no chemicals

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That is what would be ideal: clean without chemicals.
Hot water cleaning the household is the best cleaner as there are no chemicals
Yes, that's right, no chemicals and steam cleaner is good to use because of the pressure and the steam can penetrate into the fabric.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The ingredients in BioKleen are not very safe for anyone and when I had carpeting in our last house I used a steam cleaner with only water.