How prevent my cats from peeing on my floors?

CatColony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two house cats (rescue cats) (they NEVER go outdoors). They are not the best of friends. I also have four litter boxes which are cleaned at least 8 times a day. Still, these two cats don't always use the easily accessible litter boxes and will pee on my wood floors. I immediately clean up any urine and finish it off with a mixture of water and vinegar - then let it dry before the cats are allowed in that area. Sometimes the cats will pee in the same spots, sometimes they pick new spots. What can I do to deter this behavior? Thank you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That is alot of cleaning. What do you use? Does it smell? Also, one other reason cats pee out of the box is UTI so they would need to see a vet

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. How old are they? Do you know for sure that BOTH cats are peeing outside the litter boxes? The first thing that comes to mind is - as mentioned above - one of them has a urinary issue and/or infection.

Since they don't get along the greatest, the one might be peeing to cover the other one's accident - kind of a territorial thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatColony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is alot of cleaning. What do you use? Does it smell? Also, one other reason cats pee out of the box is UTI so they would need to see a vet
Thanks - but they see their vet often enough. They
I use various boxed or bagged cat litter from the supermarket. I've tried various kinds but no luck.
don't have a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatColony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. How old are they? Do you know for sure that BOTH cats are peeing outside the litter boxes? The first thing that comes to mind is - as mentioned above - one of them has a urinary issue and/or infection.

Since they don't get along the greatest, the one might be peeing to cover the other one's accident - kind of a territorial thing.
They are both about 15 years old. I thought about the territorial thing - but the patterns don't add up. I have caught both cats doing this. Is there some kind of spray deterrent that works well?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At that age, a urinary tract issue can come about pretty quickly. I would suggest you have them both checked for crystals/infection. That is really, tbh, the first thing to do. Rule out medical issues in older cats first. If they both have no issues with their urinary tract - or anything other potentially related problem (e.g.; kidney disease), then the next thing to do is to start monitoring what is going on when one or the other goes outside the litter box.

Cats just don't start doing this for no reason. New events inside or outside the house can cause this, unusual noises/stray cats or other animals outside that they can sense (much easier than humans can). Changes in your routine, or that of others in the home. Etc.

Maybe one or both of them have some degree of arthritis and when it is acting up they avoid getting into the box to go. The list of possibilities are endless. Sure, if this has been going on a long time, it could be partly behavioral, but you can't just assume that until other potential causes are ruled out - and, even so, there was something that caused the problem to begin with.

Spray deterrents - unless you spray your entire house with them - will only make them go somewhere else. And, most of the deterrents don't really work anyway.

You could try Fizzion or SCOE10x for cleaning the pee areas - both are good for most any surface, including wood. But, the fact they don't always pee in the same places, it would seem it might not be related to you not getting the urine smell out of the places that they have gone before.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am also wondering when the inappropriate urinating started. Anything new happen--new household member, a move, even just a furniture move? Or, has it always been an issue?

Can you describe your home a bit? Where are the litter boxes located now, and where do the cats hang out? It sounds like it's always the wood floor where they go? Is the wood floor in one part of your home, or all over?

Also wondering how they express their distaste for one another. Do they mostly inhabit separate areas? Do they fight?

Are the litter boxes hooded?

I think that this is totally solvable--just need a bit more information first. It will probably be a little trickier with two cats, but doable I think!!