How or why does a 12 year old cat show up limping?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy is 12. He is inside outside. I love him dearly. A couple of days ago I noticed he has a bad limp on his back leg. How do these things happen? He just hangs around the apartment outside. I can't envision any scenario where he could hurt himself. He is eating good, and doesn't seem to be in pain. But he just limps pretty bad. Been going on for a couple of days now .

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arthritis, an injury, leaping down from somwhere tall, could be anything really. Remember cats NEVER show their pain unless its bad. Why do you say he isn't showing any pain if he is limping? Clearly something is painful enough to make him limp. He needs a vet visit and xray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arthritis, an injury, leaping down from somwhere tall, could be anything really. Remember cats NEVER show their pain unless its bad. Why do you say he isn't showing any pain if he is limping? Clearly something is painful enough to make him limp. He needs a vet visit and xray.
He limps and favors that rear leg. But I mean he is eating, and purring so apparently it's not too painful. Yes, it would be nice if I could bring my cat in for an exam and x-rays every time I notice a limp, but I don't have the money to do so. Otherwise, there is no doubt that I would. I will have to wait a while and see if it gets better on its own. Per usual, I worry that the limp is related to something bad, like cancer or something.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your cat has been limping for days, it's time for a vet visit. The longer you leave it, the more likely it is to have complications and be more expensive to fix. Go to the vet.
Not going to happen. I don't have the money. Four credit cards, and not one of them has an available balance. Just gotta hope and pray it's only a long jump go awry, and not something more serious.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They purr for many reasons not just because they are happy. It is also used to ease pain, to calm themselves when stressed, etc. Also they have to eat to survive so if they ever stop things are an absolute emergency. I am not really sure how else to help. A cat limping for days is very concerning. Not much we can tell you to do that would be very responsible.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given his age, do you see a vet for at least an annual senior exam? If so, then you might have enough of a relationship with the vet to ask about a payment plan?

At a minimum, you might want to consider keeping him inside so that he is exposed to less opportunities to make the limp worse? It would limit his movements a bit and if it is just a simple sprain it would help it heal faster. That way you could also watch him more closely for signs of improvement or deterioration.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A luxating patella could cause limping. It comes and goes. A vet would be able to check the knee caps, usually without an x ray.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take him to the vet. Years ago my mother's male cat began to limp and at that time we just chalked it up to arthritis or that he hurt himself while jumping off of something. The limp persisted and my mother finally took him to her vet. The vet thought it might have cancer and it turns out she was right when a lump developed on Louie's leg a few days later. He was only seven.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take your cat to the vet, my cat started limping one day, and in 4 months he ended up losing the ability to walk on his back legs to the point that he was dragging himself around with his front paws,he needed help to stand up to eat food so i would hold him stable while he ate , he then became incontinent 2 weeks later and was helped over the bridge. Please take him to the vet if your vet says to get an xray, ask him for a CT scan or mri not xray, xray shows nothing that is the mistake i made with my cat at the start.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for sharing your stories.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he hangs round your apartment it's maybe possible that someone has kicked him, horrible as that is. I had a lovely, affectionate cat years ago, she was only a little thing, and one day she came home not willing to put weight on one of her back legs. She also became very timid and afraid of people.

I took her to the vet immediately and the consensus was that one of the idiot teenagers who hung round our local shop had kicked her - why would anyone do that to such a loving little girl? Lucky for us, it was only really deep tissue bruising but painful enough to make her not walk on it. Any harder and likely that it would have fractured.

Please, please, please take your boy to the vet. It might be nothing but you need to have him checked to make sure. How long do you plan to wait if it doesn't get better to get him looked at? You've said it's already been a couple of days. Are there any low cost options available in your area? I'm in the UK so not sure what options you would have.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His limp is improving. So I have my fingers crossed that it was just an strain or unseen wound. Most people just seem to ignore it when someone says they don't have the money. I guess they assume the person does have the money and is just being cheap. Because over and over again people have implored me to take him to the vet ignoring what I said about not having the moey. My credit cards are over the limit and being declined, and my checking account has just enough for rent. I take care of 7 cats, all of them have been vaccinated, and spayed or neutered. Plus some have been wounded, and needed immediate care. One of them got terminally ill and I did everything to save her. This is one of the reason I am maxed out. So a MRI is not in the immediate future for my cat who is limping. I am relieved that the limp is barely perceptible now, 4 days after I first saw him limping badly. I was praying for it to be nothing serious. The stories on this thread about limps that turned into something tragic really had me scared.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that his limping has improved and I hope he will continue to get better, I think he will.

I think that many of us mentioned a vet because at least you would know what you were up against.

I am not a rich person but I do have a vet who will work with me. Right now I owe him 700.00 dollars and he is letting me make installments. I think all of us know what it is like to have to beg, barrow, and barter, when it comes to our animals.

Thank you for the update- wishing kitty the best.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone is ignoring that you say you have money, they are simply concerned for a cat who has an injury and is being neglected. Part of being a caretaker to animals means you are responsible for them, letting an animal suffer is inhumane. You could surrender the cat to a rescue, vet or shelter if you are unable to afford care.

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone is ignoring that you say you have money, they are simply concerned for a cat who has an injury and is being neglected. Part of being a caretaker to animals means you are responsible for them, letting an animal suffer is inhumane. You could surrender the cat to a rescue, vet or shelter if you are unable to afford care.
Yes, I am going to surrender the 12 year old cat I've had since he was a kitten to a cat rescue. do you have any idea how dumb that sounds? Don't be overly dramatic. SMH. The cat's not being neglected, he's being monitored. This isn't worth my time.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This site isn't worth my time.
Please don't look at it that way. No one is really trying to be uncaring or rude to you; some may say things you don't appreciate, but there are many other members who try to be as helpful as they can be.

The only things I suggested were to keep him inside where his activities might be better restricted, enabling a faster recovery, and you could watch him better - and, that if there would be a way to ask your vet about a payment plan. The latter was in the case your buddy got worse, not better.

I am glad he is improving, and I hope it continues - and would very much appreciate it if you would keep us posted on his progress! No matter what some may say, we all do care very much. I have a 15+ yo cat that I love dearly, so your guy being 12 is something that resonates with me - maybe because of their 'tender' ages, if nothing more.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since your cat is outside at least part of the time, Lyme disease is also a possibility. Keep monitoring, because if it doesn't go away that needs antibiotics for treatment.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my indoor cat was about 12, she too suddenly started limping. I took her to the emergency vet but she was such a hellion that they couldn't examine her. They said she probably sprained it jumping on/off something, just take her home and watch her for a few days. (They also refused to ever see her again without sedation!) Sure enough, it healed after about 4 days. So it sounds like that is what you have.

I don't think you are an irresponsible owner, after all you came here looking for advice. I do think there is a thread on this board somewhere about how to get lower cost veterinary care. I don't know if you have read it, I admit I have not and I don't know how helpful it is. Just thought I'd mention it.