How On Earth Do You Get Your Cat to Eat Hairball Treatment???

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been a very long time since I had to administer hairball treatment to a cat. I remember that none of them ever wanted it, in fact they all balked at it completely.

Cocoabean had 2 bouts of throwing up this past weekend, rather severely and we found a pretty big hairball in one of the puddles. She's not prone to having health issues in general - been pretty healthy overall for a now-senior since we've had her. She's also been having some odd eating patterns - asking for food a lot but not eating a lot at once - she's eat maybe an ounce and that is it. We wind up feeding her like 4-5 times a day because of this.

The vet did an x-ray to see if anything showed up, gave her Cerenia to help her queasy tummy and some fluids. We both felt there was no need to draw blood yet since she's due for her yearly in a couple of months and we'd wait on anything more until the she had a radiologist read the x-ray - but she did notice some inflammation of the stomach and saw what she felt probably was a hairball inside her. Possibly, she's not able to bring it up but again wanted to double check before prescribing anything and to rule out other potential problems such as pancreatitis for instance.

The radiologist concurred it's most likely a hairball based on the small mass he saw in her stomach and symptoms so the vet prescribed Laxatone - which I assumed she would. Well. Cocoabean is SO angry with me right now holy smokes. As expected, she ran off with the gel on her foot, flinging it everywhere. Tried putting it on her nose instead after I caught her, and that went even worse. Man, she gave me some serious stink eye. Got more on her foot, squished in but good and she ran under our bed. I assume she must have licked that off eventually. Avoided me for hours.

I do not know how we're going to get this into her. Supposedly you can't mix it with food and even if you could she's not the best of eaters so that won't work. I'm wondering if it's possible to use a syringe and squeeze it into her mouth? I have a few here but not sure if they are the right kinds or not.

FYI - we groom her a lot. Like nearly every day because she loves it so clearly it's not for lack of fur removal. And she's not an over-groomer either, nor is she grooming Luna. Vet feels it's a motility issue.

Any tips or tricks would be highly appreciated. I'm supposed to give her about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon a day for 3 days and then continue with smaller amounts afterward. At minimum I'd really like to get those 3 days into her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding an all dry diet? If you can add wet food with some plain canned pumpkin added might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding an all dry diet? If you can add wet food with some plain canned pumpkin added might help.
She eats NO dry food at all. Only wet.
I'm not sure if the pumpkin trick will work for her. As I mentioned, her appetite is really minimal. If I'm mixing in pumpkin, that means she isn't going to be getting enough protein. I have used it with other cats that had poop issues and it seemed to help them. But it might be worth a shot since it certainly can't hurt her. I'll p/u a can when I go shopping this week.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put it on the leg so she has to groom it off, but small blobs and confine her in the bathroom or something so she can't run off and fling it everywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would put it on the leg so she has to groom it off, but small blobs and confine her in the bathroom or something so she can't run off and fling it everywhere.
That's a plan. I think tomorrow, I'm going to make my husband try that. She loves us both, but until recently spent way more time with him because he's retired (I'm working at home now because of Covid). So they have a special bond. Maybe she'll be more tolerant of him doing this or at least won't be quite as annoyed for so long at him LOL

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for some insane reason my cat loves petroleum jelly. when shes having one of her hairball incidents she wont eat until i give her the jelly. Then she runs to eat. lol

I use it on her place mat to keep ants away, and i constantly see her licking it. LOL

My point is, try another remedy. There are many. Many pet parents dont like using petroleum jelly, but it works for my cat.

edit: i tried putting the jelly on her fur in the beginning and she would run, she doesnt like her fur being dirty. I now just offer it from my hand. I used to put it near her bowl.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
for some insane reason my cat loves petroleum jelly. when shes having one of her hairball incidents she wont eat until i give her the jelly. Then she runs to eat. lol

I use it on her place mat to keep ants away, and i constantly see her licking it. LOL

My point is, try another remedy. There are many. Many pet parents dont like using petroleum jelly, but it works for my cat.

edit: i tried putting the jelly on her fur in the beginning and she would run, she doesnt like her fur being dirty. I now just offer it from my hand. I used to put it near her bowl.
Yeah mine does too, it’s very strange. Whenever I open the jar of Vaseline I have to close it up really quick so he doesn’t stick his head in there.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Motility issues are pretty common with older cats.
Psyllium can help with motility. It has practically no taste, but it will "gum up" a little, so it's best to mix it well with the food to mitigate the texture. It will not interfere with protein levels. You can mix in as much as needed, taking into account how much she tends to eat. It might take a week or so to work out the best amount and see results.
Egg yolk or egg lecithin are also some possible things you can add to strengthen the coat and help move hairballs through the gut.