How Old Is This Kitten?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mom came around a few weeks ago. And we discovered a few days ago. She has 4 kittens. They were in our garden shed. I guess I cleaned to well. They moved out and have been hiding in different piles of wood/pallets in the yard. Dd was able to catch this one. Dh trapped 2. But they got away when dd picked it up. Door came open. I feel bad this little one is alone. He is eating wet food I watered down. Will he be ok without mom? Hoping to catch her. I'm trying to find a trap.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten looks to be maybe 6 weeks old. Since he's eating wet food on his own he will be okay, though he's young to separate. Don't put him back though; you'll never catch him again.

Are the other kittens still out there with mom?

Put food out for them. They are surely hungry, and perhaps you can trap them soon. Feed without trapping initially so they build trust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ty I feel bad. But won't put him back. I'm hoping to catch his siblings and mom tomorrow. How often and how much does he need? It's been 6 years since my others were kittens and they got food from mom for way past 6 weeks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He needs access to dry kitten chow 24/7, and water. He needs small wet food meals 4-6 times a day at this age. he should be able to use a small litter box once you show him.

Keep us posted!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's peeing on the blanket. How do you show him?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to begin putting him in the litter box before and after meals, and other times throughout the day. Take a little front paw and show him how to dig.

Make sure the box is nearby. He should catch on quickly once he's shown, but he's a baby, so he might have an occasional accident. :)

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was able to get another kitten this morning. Hoping to catch other 2 and mom. Someone used the litter box shorty after putting him in there. I assume it's him.

Attachments

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't been able to get the other 2. But may be that's a good thing. I'm concerned about the two I did take. If they are going to be well enough if they are not getting mom's milk anymore? They eat fine. But worried about other things her milk provided

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go ahead and buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula (KMR). You can give them a couple dishes a day to lap up and it will give them the extra they were getting from mom.

It's good they have each other.

Are mom and the other kittens still around? Are you feeding them?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
how much should i give them and for how long?

Yes the others are still here. At least as of last night. I have given them some food. Im trying to get a trap form TNR group.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A couple of dishes a day is fine. Maybe a half cup to split.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the powder and split a 1/4 cup to see how they would do. They turned their nose up but finally tried it and loved it.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot how much mom cats do for their babies. Like cleaning them. How much do they need for me to do at this age?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they using the litter box?

Just make sure their bottoms are clean.

You can brush them daily. A toothbrush will feel like mom's tongue.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gave them a bowl to share last night about 1:30am They didn't finish it. Now gave them a small amount. They licked a little. But maybe not hungry.
This morning the striped one(lillian) was tired and didn't eat much. She doesn't seem as active and happy today. She loved the toothbrush and when I hold and pet her she purrs. The gray one(Levi) is full of energy.
Lillians eyes are a little watery and sneezed a bit.
They had eaten some of the dry food I left out last night.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok they did finish the milk. But the brother is playing to rough attacking the sister. He needs a time out lol. She seems better and is eating some dry food. As I type. Hopefully they will still be hungry at 2:30 as i rather they ate wet food.