How old is this kitten?

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a kitten that was apparently bottle fed because she was a premie. They are saying shes 12 weeks my vet thinks 7-9 weeks instead. Im not sure what to think. Shes very sweet and was just at the vets for her first shots and deworming today. When would be fine to spay her? Vet said 4 months - 6 months. Cost will be $231 or I can pay $60 at the spay clinic (which Ive heard bad stories about). Im torn on when to do it. My males absolutely love her to death!

Last edited:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
$231 dollars seems EXTREMELY high for a spay!! I pay $85 at our local vet for the spay. The clinics around here charge $35 (they're usually for feral cats only though).

I'd says she looks 8-9 weeks old. But bottle babies do sometimes start out a bit smaller.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Clynn.   :)

Perhaps there is something extra included into this 231, like next serie of vaccines + tatoo +?

Otherwise it is twice what is costs as normal price full paying.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Canada is more expensive than the US in general, and even in the US spays can cost a lot in the larger cities.

It's hard to tell her age exactly---I can see anywhere from 9-12 weeks. What about her teeth? Any falling out yet? When she loses her canine teeth, that's the latest you want to spay.

Your boys are neutered, right? So even if she does go into heat, it'll just be an annoyance for you as long as you can keep her from escaping. But really, she's fine to be spayed any time now.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   A spay at my vet is more than  $231,   so it depends on location,  and also there can be variation in the anesthesia protocol , pre-op tests, monitoring etc.   

I would go by the vet's estimate of the kitten's age  since he can see the kitten in person, look at teeth etc.  and we are just seeing photos.   Or split the difference and figure maybe she's around 9  or 10 weeks,  which would be my guess.     

Very cute blue-cream tortie! 

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding the age, how did the place you got her from estimate? If they told you she is 12 weeks, and the person knows that because they were bottle feeding her from day 1 or close to it, then that is the right age, obviously.  If not, I'd go with the vet's estimate.  I do want to say though that size is not an accurate indicator all the time when they were bottle fed, so if you got the impression your vet was only going on size he/she could well be wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The lady said she was born premature and she bottle fed her and she said she was 12 weeks. I had bad vibes but good vibes from her. Teeth arent falling out and the kitten is still wobbly (she can run and stuff but lacks the coordination you would see in a 12 week old IMO. My males are neutered yes. Thats cheap for a spay (thats with no blood work or IV fluids) the one vet I called today wanted $411 before tax and blood work. Canada is higher in cost. I called the spay clinic and am on a wait list. Its costing $60.

For a booster, flea stuff and dewormer I paid $72 after tax. I also get a 10% discount because i have multiple pets

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tulosai  -- good point!     Since the kitten was bottle fed by someone who had her all along, they should know the age.    I guess the person might have a bad memory and could be a little wrong . 

but with being a premie bottle baby,  it is not unusual she might still be smaller than average and could be a bit delayed in development.   

It is really more her weight and general health that would determine when to spay her, since she is old enough already.    Some vets who do early age altering say 2 pounds.  but others say 2 pounds for boys and 2.5 pounds for girls since that is a longer and much more invasive surgery.        With this kitten having been premature and with what you describe, I would rather wait until 4-5 months.  but make sure she doesn't get out.  

Is she wobbling a lot , so that it seems like some neurological problem ?   or is it more she just is not as strong as most 12 wk old kittens? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its like she just does not have the coordination yet I doubt theres any Neurolgical issues. She is now jumping and climbing on every one including her two uncles (Cynder and Riot)