How old is everyone?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also Irish but I had no idea until I was in 7th grade and the librarian heard my name and said, "Oh my, you can't get much more Irish than that!" I was confused and went home and asked my mom and she confirmed that I am Irish. :lol:

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've been convinced all year that I'm 32. Literally in February I started a note in Google keep titled "plan 33". Which is what I do every year to set some goals for myself.

So today I went to the doctor (new one). After asking my age, she asked some more stuff and then scanned my health insurance card. And she looks at me and asks me to repeat my age. To which I say 32.
She says "uh lady you are 31, not 32." Did some math and turns out she's right. I've been telling people the wrong number for almost a year. Cool.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also Irish but I had no idea until I was in 7th grade and the librarian heard my name and said, "Oh my, you can't get much more Irish than that!" I was confused and went home and asked my mom and she confirmed that I am Irish. :lol:
My hometown has always had a large immigrant population. But apparently everyone is Italian and darn proud of it. But then when the Ancestry tests started coming out... a lot of people found out they weren't nearly as Italian as they thought. Burst some bubbles. Bruised some egos... :flail: My cousin gave both her kids very Italian names (to match their last name) but at least they know they aren't even 50%. :lol:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hometown has always had a large immigrant population. But apparently everyone is Italian and darn proud of it.
Never understood why people abroad (Italians or with ancestry) are proud of being Italian.
When I travel abroad (well, when it was possible to) I tend to keep it for myself, never said where I was from, unless I was asked.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandmother said I should never tell my age. Lol However, when she turned 99 she told everyone! I would have too. :lol: Recently I said something about being ,”ancient.” A friend said that I am “collectible!”:flail:I’m not really ancient, just a little into my golden years. South of 70 and grateful to still be heading north.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Recently I said something about being ,”ancient.” A friend said that I am “collectible!”:flail:I’m not really ancient, just a little into my golden years.
Next time just tell them this, "“Getting old is like climbing a mountain; you get a little out of breath, but the view is much better!” Ingrid Bergman

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never understood why people abroad (Italians or with ancestry) are proud of being Italian.
When I travel abroad (well, when it was possible to) I tend to keep it for myself, never said where I was from, unless I was asked.
I'm not sure I understand it fully. Maybe it's just identifying with heritage? Maybe it's a novelty. The history of the country is probably more well known too. The foods celebrated. I do see people proud of their heritage from other countries too; so I don't think it's just an Italian thing. Even if the only connection is through a grandparent or great-grandparent. My cousin and I definitely liked knowing about that and discussing it when we were kids. I don't see the same interest here in this area.

Over here in the US we've got people arguing over accents and sauce vs gravy to prove who is more Italian I guess. :dunno: I'm just gonna go with the terminology my grandparents used and remind myself that almost none have spent any time at all in Italy. :lol:

I've had a few people ask if I'm Italian and tell me I look like it. I do resemble my Italian grandfather more than anyone; but I have a hard time believing that if I went to Italy I'd think "Wow. These people all look like me!" :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kinda feel like American Italian culture departed from Italy Italian culture a long time ago, lol. Same with American Irish. Americans are big on being "proud" of one's identity in general.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Americans of Italian descent are more often from the far south of Italy, more people immigrated from that region to the US.
The UK got more Maltese (I know not part of Italy) and northern Italians in a later migration.
My grandfather was born in Calabria.
Nobody ever thinks I am part Italian though, I don't look as such.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a where is everyone from thread? That would be very interesting too :)