How old do you think this pregnant stray is?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are fine! Kittens can plateau for a day or so, then get a growth spurt and pig out. The most important thing here is that ALL your kittens are at or above the goal weight of 12 ounces at 3 weeks! šŸ˜Š

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks sarthur2! Thatā€™s exactly what happened with both my briefly-plateaued kitties šŸ˜€

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today we had a visit from the two ladies who run the cat rescue group who will Be helping us place the kittens when they are ready (and after they are spayed/neutered and started on vaccines). It was really good to hear that they both felt all 4 kittens and mom Nyxie looked great! I was soooo relieved.

today they are 24 days old. They are up on all 4 legs walking (clumsily) and are now playing with each other. They walk to the edge of their nesting box when I walk into the room and start talking to them. I love these kittens!
3CB11BBC-351E-4BAD-A46A-F4C78E99381E.jpeg

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soā€¦last night, one of my 4 kittens escaped the nesting box I set up. This morning, a second one joined her. Thankfully, I have the nesting box and litter box inside a covered ex-pen so the kittens couldnā€™t run all over the room.
mom Nyxie was nursing the 2 girls outside the box this morning. Will she know to then go inside the nesting box and nurse the other 2? Should I take the nesting box out of the ex-pen now? The pics are of my 2 escapees!
2406EE37-B62F-4263-8E4B-53AD15CFD126.jpeg
28CC073F-7EDD-4E75-826D-9A9DE237AA79.jpeg
Thanks!

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so glad that things are going well and you have a team of support!
Me tooā€¦the rescue group and folks on this site have been amazing!

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the other 2! They are 27 days old now šŸ˜€
6C4CF144-F79B-48F9-98A0-E6862525547A.jpeg
2C3046C3-146D-49AF-9FCE-ADB449525E4C.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, kittens want to leave the nesting box for good between 3-4 weeks and explore their environment, so removing the nest now is appropriate. Mom will usually ā€œchirpā€ to call them when itā€™s time to nurse.

Supervise when you let them explore the room unless itā€™s 100% kitten-proofed and safe.

They will be ready to try soft foods at about 6 weeks old.

What cuties! šŸ˜»

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my kittens are now 30 days old. They seem really hungry and are meowing a little more than usual. Over the last couple of days, Iā€™ve mixed up some KMR once a day and each of them have lapped it up. Hope thatā€™s ok for them and that it wonā€™t mess with their nursing! Should I be adding canned kitten food to the KMR?

also, I have been reading that kittens start using the litterbox around 3-4 weeks of age and are typically pretty reliable by about 5-6 weeks. My kittens are not at all curious about the litterbox and just sit there when I put them in it and scratch at the litter. Mama cat uses the litter box without any issues. Why aren't they learning this skill? I should add that the towels in their nesting box are always really clean; mama cat seems to still be completely taking care of their elimination issues. Is that normal at this age?
842643F1-D135-45F9-85C6-166D29AF89FE.jpeg

thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Itā€™s normal. Kittens do not generally learn the litter box until they begin eating soft foods between 5-7 weeks. You can mix soft, pate style kitten wet food with formula to make a mush and let them try it, but it may be another week or two before they really go for it. Once they do, start putting them in the litter box before and after meals. They usually catch on fast!

Cute kittens! :lovecat2:

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks AGAIN for all your help, sarthur2.

my kittens turned 5 weeks old today. They are regularly using the litter box now šŸ˜€ and keeping their pet playpen clean. Their nesting box is gone too.

weā€™ve been feeding them a mix of KMR and canned kitten food 3-4 times per day. Usually anywhere from 2-3 kittens will eat it while the others ignore it. Itā€™s never the same kittens who eat any one meal. I have seen all 4 still nursing each day and they are gaining weight so I am trying not to worry about the missing meals.

at this point, I am mixing one scoop of KMR with two scoops of water and adding it to half a can of wet cat food. Should I be adding more KMR and water at this point? Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they eating all that you put down each time? If so, add more. If not, hold off.

Theyā€™ll eventually need bigger portions once they all eat every time and as they get bigger.

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope-they are leaving some on the plate each time (it varies as to how much). They seem to do better lapping up the KMR/water alone and less well on the KMR/water plus canned cat food. Maybe they arenā€™t ready for canned cat food yet? Thanks!

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just weighed my gang. they weigh from 19.5 ounces to 22.5 ounces. Still gaining steadily šŸ˜€

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 kittens will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. All are active and gaining weight steadily. They weigh between 24.25 and 27.125 ounces. They are all doing fairly well at eating a very thick mix of KMR and canned kitten food 3 times a day. And they have begun eating dry kitten kibble too!

if I leave a bowl of kitten kibble in with the kittens, mama cat eats it right away and leaves nothing for the babies. Is it ok to keep her out of the kitten room for 3 or 4 hours at a time for a couple times per day now? I know she still needs to nurse them some. We do keep her in with the kittens all night long too. Thanks!

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a pic of mama cat and two of her kittens!
A9F1A222-4C63-4330-8970-852F66D4B9C8.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe just once a day. Can you put two bowls of kitten kibble down - one for mom and one for the kittens? Mom is still a kitten herself, still nursing, and needs the nutrition also. Is mom also getting plenty of wet food?

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom Nyxie is eating about 3 cans of kitten food per day plus handfuls of kitten kibble numerous times a day. She is an eating machine! She eats at least 3 if not 4 times as much as our 14 year old male cat! I will try putting a second bowl down for all of them in the kitten room. But the babies eat slowly and Nyxie practically inhales food so am guessing she will just go to the other bowl when she finishes hers. She was NOT skinny when she showed up in our backyard so she canā€™t have been stray for very long. But food seems to be very very important to her! As always, Sarthur2, thanks so much for your help!

Kareywood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens are about 6 and a half weeks old. They are eating 4 meals per day of a mix of KMR and canned kitten food and Iā€™ve been leaving dry kibble out for them about 60% of the time too. Mom is nursing them a lot less and for much shorter periods than she used to so weaning appears to be going well. Mom just began having less of an appetite than sheā€™s had for the past 2 months (in her last month of pregnancy and in her first month of nursing). Is loss of appetite a sign that her milk is drying up? Is this normal at this stage? Thanks!

Also, my vet does not spay/neuter before 5 months of age. I have 2 boy and 2 girl kittens-could one of the girls possibly become pregnant prior to being spayed at 5 months? Should I keep boys separated from girls once they hit 4 months old (until they are altered)? Mom already has an appointment to be spayed in the second week of August (kittens will be 11 weeks old then)!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might need to separate them at that point if you are unable to supervise. Most males that age are not mature enough to complete the act of mating, but it has happened.

Your other choice is to call around and see if another vet will neuter earlier. If the males are neutered the female kittens canā€™t get pregnant and can wait until 5 months.

It is normal for momā€™s appetite to diminish since she is no longer the sole source of their food. The kittensā€™ appetites, on the other hand, will increase for a few months as they are growing fast.

For that matter, mom can be spayed anytime now that the kittens are weaning. Sheā€™ll likely have a heat cycle or two before her August spay date, so be careful she does not get out.